AP application - "Membership of Professional Bodies"?

Discuss any aspect of applying for posts or courses (apart from the clinical psychology doctorate which has its own forum section), CVs, application forms, etc
zoeeee

AP application - "Membership of Professional Bodies"?

Post by zoeeee » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:30 am

Hi all,

I've been looking at applications for AP posts on NHS jobs and noticed that sometimes, a job asks for "current UK professional registration". On the application itself, it asks you to provide details regarding any relevant professional registrations or memberships. Now I was wondering - I have an undergrad that confers the Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership of the BPS but I am not actually a member. I spoke to one of the people from an application who ask for this registration, and was told that having the Graduate Basis is enough. However, do people know what you are meant to answer on the form itself? I am worried that if I go for "no membership" or "am a student", I'd get rejected immediately. But if you say you are a member, it asks for your number etc., which I obviously don't have. Anyone else seen that?

It would be great if someone knows about this - any advice is much appreciated!

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
miriam
Site Admin

Re: AP application - "Membership of Professional Bodies"?

Post by miriam » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:15 pm

The box is there for memberships (rather than eligibility for membership), but in my experience will only be used as a screening criteria for short-listing where such registration is compulsory - ie for HCPC regulated professions, or medicine, nursing, etc. Otherwise just mention having GBC in the main application details.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

zoeeee

Post by zoeeee » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:02 pm

Ah that makes sense, thanks miriam. So would you go for "no professional registration", even though applications sometimes state that they want that? You're right in that they dont actually seem to want that, only GBC, but I am just a bit worried it might automatically reject it if I go for that option...

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:50 pm

I'd not worry about it. You aren't a member, so admit that. It isn't likely to be used for applications at that level, and you can mention GBC elsewhere. I've short-listed a lot in the NHS and we never used it - it wouldn't seem to make much sense to do so, unless you genuinely care who is a member of the BPS (and I don't, and the general feeling towards them is quite ambivalent at the moment anyway).
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

zoeeee

Post by zoeeee » Wed May 02, 2018 3:41 pm

Okay - thanks a lot for the information miriam! Makes me feel a bit more certain about it :).