Activity co-ordinator/Clinical studies officer

Discuss any aspect of applying for posts or courses (apart from the clinical psychology doctorate which has its own forum section), CVs, application forms, etc
roslo

Activity co-ordinator/Clinical studies officer

Post by roslo » Fri May 04, 2018 2:10 pm

Hi guys!

I work in the NHS as an admin in a CMHT and would like to gain more experience either in the research or clinical field. I am however very in doubt if experience as an Activity co-ordinator in a ward would be relevant for my career in the Psychology field. Does that count as clinical experience if I would like to apply for a Doctorate or something?

Also, can anyone share anything know about Clinical studies officer post? I have finished my MSc conversion and not sure if that's enough to apply for the job. Can you give me tips on how to apply for this kind of research-based post without previous experience in research (apart from writing my MSc thesis!)?

THANK YOU! :D

xashx

Re: Activity co-ordinator/Clinical studies officer

Post by xashx » Sun May 06, 2018 11:55 am

hello

I started as an admin in a CMHT - totally understand your situation!

it's definitely relevant clinical experience if it involves direct working with indivuduals that are experiencing mental health difficulties. My first clinical role was as a healthcare assistant on a ward, and although it's not direct therapeutic work, it's still very useful as you'll gain so much from working with people in terms of interpersonal skills, understanding the day to day reality that people face when they are going through difficult times, and you can learn a lot from the people around you. direct contact is invaluable, whereas in an admin role, whilst you're getting to see how the clinical team works, you're not actively participating. activities coordinator will, I imagine, involve some direct clinical contact with service users.

with the clinical studies officer post, again it's about how you sell your current skill set - organised, efficient, can multi task are all things I imagine you've learned as an admin in a CMHT. you've completed research previously, so that's a good chunk of experience there as you've seen the research project from start to finish.

have faith in your skills, and use evrything as an opportunity to learn from those around you, both staff and service users, and you'll be golden.

feel free to PM me for any advice, believe me I know the struggle!!

xashx

Post by xashx » Sun May 06, 2018 11:56 am

thesis I meant, not research!

roslo

Post by roslo » Tue May 08, 2018 10:16 pm

Thank you a lot for your reply :) It's good to know there is hope for who start as an admin... Sometimes the opportunities seem so far away, but hopefully I will get something different soon!

firegal
Team Member

Post by firegal » Wed May 09, 2018 10:50 am

I can't speak for course selection, but when I was an AP the activities co-ordinator on the ward was my go-to guy. Brilliant insight into the service users, an entire role around enriching lives, lots of experience advocating for services, co-ordinating with outside organisations, communicating with various professionals. Honestly think it's a fab role and if you can reflect on it well then it would be a good thing to have on the CV, maybe not a direct path into clinical, but a good stepping stone to a solid AP role for sure.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Mon May 14, 2018 9:21 pm

Its a lot more relevant than an admin role, so I'd definitely see it as a positive step.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com