Registering with HCPC- International Route

Discuss any aspect of applying for posts or courses (apart from the clinical psychology doctorate which has its own forum section), CVs, application forms, etc
Post Reply
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu May 24, 2018 11:37 am

Registering with HCPC- International Route

Post by NazAsh » Mon May 28, 2018 10:41 am


I'm looking for some advice on my eligibility for professional registration with HCPC as a practitioner psychologist via International route.

I hold GBC with BPS for an undergraduate degree in Psychology completed in India in 2007. I have been working in mental health in the UK for the last 5 years in organisations such as MIND and CAMHS in the NHS in roles such as Support Worker for LD, IAPT admin, Primary Mental Health Worker and Assistant Psychologist. Prior to that, I worked in Education with children with SEN for 5 years as a qualified Primary School Teacher (PGCE).

My question is do you think the above qualification and experience is sufficient for eligibility for professional registration as a practitioner psychologist.

I understand each application is assessed individually but any advice anyone has who has gone through the process would be much appreciated!


User avatar
Team Member
Posts: 858
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:10 pm

Re: Registering with HCPC- International Route

Post by Geishawife » Mon May 28, 2018 11:27 am

Short answer, I'm afraid, is no. Judging from what you've written, you have no higher qualifications in psychology or formal training in any of the recognised practitioner roles. GBC does not qualify you to practice - it simply means you have a qualification that is robust enough to allow you to go on to further training. Whilst you have some decent experience, without the formal qualifications in either Clinical, Counseling or Educational psychology you will not be able to register as a practitioner psychologist.

If you are interested in Clinical, Counseling or Educational psychology as a career I would suggest you look into whether or not you are eligble for a funded place (not knowing your nationality I can't advise on this) or the possibilty of self funding in order to obtain the requisite qualification.

User avatar
Site Admin
Posts: 7906
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:20 pm
Location: Bucks

Re: Registering with HCPC- International Route

Post by miriam » Mon May 28, 2018 2:11 pm

To put that in context, you have the typical level experience of a British applicant for doctoral training. If you were eligible for equivalence so would thousands of other applicants be, and nobody would bother doing doctoral training!!! Look at our "what experience did you have when you got onto training" thread for context.

In short, you have nowhere near the requisite academic or professional requirements for being equivalent to someone who has competed a practitioner doctorate. Sorry.

See my blog at

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest