UWE Counselling Psychology?

Discuss any aspect of applying for posts or courses (apart from the clinical psychology doctorate which has its own forum section), CVs, application forms, etc
svr

UWE Counselling Psychology?

Post by svr » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:25 pm

Hi all,

I am aware that versions of this question have been asked a few times on this forum, but I’m hoping to get a few more answers. Having spent 6 years going through DClinPsy application heartache, I have finally decided to go with plan ‘B’ and apply for the Prof Doc in Counselling Psychology at UWE. However, being an anxious sort of person, I have a couple of niggling worries. Namely:

-I have a 1.5 year old and a husband, so I am unable to relocate for a course therefore UWE is my only option. Does anyone have any experience with UWE and Counselling Psychology? Is the course generally well regarded?

-I am concerned that I will always be in competition for jobs with Clinical Psychologists and that they will have preference. Are there any recent Counselling Psych graduates out there who can give me an idea of how challenging it has been to find a job post qualification?

I think if I had done this 3 years ago, I wouldn’t be nearly so worried. But now, the thought of getting myself (and my family) into debt for me to do this feels very daunting and even selfish/ self-indulgent. Particularly if I won’t be able to get a job at the end of it.

I’d really welcome any thoughts/ comments/ shared experiences.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf