What role to go for?

Discuss any aspect of applying for posts or courses (apart from the clinical psychology doctorate which has its own forum section), CVs, application forms, etc
pusheenpal

What role to go for?

Post by pusheenpal » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:13 am

Hi all,

I know this topic has been covered in the past before but I would really like the perspective of people in the area rather than just family and friends.

I am currently working as an honorary AP in a service contracted out from the NHS. They released an AP position which I'm interviewing for this week.

But last week I got offers for trainee PWP position in the NHS and I was asked to attend an AP interview for an IAPT service also NHS. I came third at interview and so I have been given an offer of a 6 month contract which would be more clinical based than research to fill gaps in their service.

I know that its what you take from these things. I am also conscious of the fact that not everyone gets onto the doctorate and having a career in IAPT could be a good alternative. I am *also* aware that working in the NHS would be looked on more favourably than not. But where I am working now I believe I would get more of the full package. Essentially I think there are positives to all of these options and have no idea how to choose between them.

I may well get/not get the role tomorrow (I know I should wait and see), but I wasn't expecting to have these choices to make and its thrown me a bit.

Any perspectives would be gratefully received!

Thanks!
Last edited by pusheenpal on Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

maven
Site Admin

Re: What role to go for?

Post by maven » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:29 am

I'd say wait and see what happens tomorrow, and then have a think about which role you'd enjoy most, and feel you'd learn most from. In a tie-break pick longer contract, better pay, or a service you know will deliver on their promises.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

firegal
Team Member

Re: What role to go for?

Post by firegal » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:41 pm

I'll just say I had minimal NHS experience when I got on training. A total of 5-6 months in a Virgin Care (NHS contract) mental health support worker role was as close as I got, all my AP experience was private and all my research experience was based at universities, so if you feel like the non-NHS position will give you the better experience then I wouldn't go adding too much weight to the idea that NHS will look better on an application form. What looks best on an application form is always the experience you got the most out of, not the name of the employer.