Putting down my experience on paper

Discuss any aspect of applying for posts or courses (apart from the clinical psychology doctorate which has its own forum section), CVs, application forms, etc
GMcwha

Putting down my experience on paper

Post by GMcwha » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:18 pm

Hi,

I am due to start my application for 2019. I have several years experience of support work with Adults with Autism, some permanent and some bank work which has been since I started studying in 2012 (Psychology was not my first choice so following . Further more I have a years experience of working as a Health Care Assistant in the NHS. More recently I have taken up a post as an honorary assistant psychologist. I believe that I may undersell myself with my clinical experience with the first two roles, and so I was wondering if anyone might be able to contribute to enhancing my application. I suppose I could look at the competences that the DClinpsy looks for, and work back from there looking to address how I meet those? Anyway, I thought it is worth a punt on putting it out there to an open forum.

Thanks in advance
Gareth

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
alexh

Re: Putting down my experience on paper

Post by alexh » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:38 pm

I suppose I could look at the competences that the DClinpsy looks for, and work back from there looking to address how I meet those?
You suppose rightly. This is an excellent strategy for any application or interview. You could also write longer reflective pieces on your support and HCA work and refine them from there.

If you're a HAP, isn't your supervisor willing to help with this and other parts of your application?