Clinical research coordinator vs research assistant

Discuss any aspect of applying for posts or courses (apart from the clinical psychology doctorate which has its own forum section), CVs, application forms, etc
Fluffy92

Clinical research coordinator vs research assistant

Post by Fluffy92 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:05 am

Hi all

I have been shortlisted for a clinical research coordinator role. However, despite reading the job spec and researching online I am not actually sure what the difference is between a research assistant and a clinical research coordinator. Perhaps with a coordinator you have more responsibility and are managing research assistants?

Hope someone is able to help me with this! I don't want to show up to the interview looking completely ignorant lol

Thanks in advance x

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
maven
Site Admin

Re: Clinical research coordinator vs research assistant

Post by maven » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:45 pm

Sounds like a good question to ask at interview to me. I'd assume that the coordinator is more administrative, and therefore lower in the research hierarchy than an RA, but I don't know for sure. I'll ask on twitter.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

Fluffy92

Post by Fluffy92 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:50 pm

Hi Maven
Thanks for getting back to me and for asking on twitter. I thought the same but the research coordinator role is actually paid more at band 6 than the research assistants who are at band 4/5, which makes me think it it's more responsibility.

Charlie

Post by Charlie » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:09 am

I’ve worked as a project coordinator and research assistant. As project coordinator, I was responsible for study set up, ethics, managing the research team, managing recruitment, report writing etc. So it was a lot more responsibility than my RA role. In the RA role I was mostly doing data collection so really good clinical experience. I really enjoyed both roles. Good luck!

Fluffy92

Post by Fluffy92 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:53 pm

Thanks Charlie! It does sound like a great role! Glad you enjoyed it :)