Do I have enough experience to apply for an Assistant Psychologist post?

Discuss any aspect of applying for posts or courses (apart from the clinical psychology doctorate which has its own forum section), CVs, application forms, etc
ell

Do I have enough experience to apply for an Assistant Psychologist post?

Post by ell » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:55 pm

Have you got a few months experience working with people with mental health difficulties, in any position, paid or unpaid? Then yes, you have enough experience to apply.

But if you are focusing purely on what experience you have and not what you've actually learned from it, or how the clients have experienced your work with them, then no, you probably aren't getting that assistant psychologist post.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
miriam
Site Admin

Re: Do I have enough experience to apply for an Assistant Psychologist post?

Post by miriam » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:10 am

Well said. I've pinned this thread.

Normally the expectation is of a year of whole time equivalent of experience, paid or unpaid, along with a completed qualification conferring GBC, with a 2:1 or better or a completed post graduate qualification. It is often an advantage if some of your experience is with the same client group or in a similar role to the advertised post (eg research, or rehabilitation). But how you reflect on that experience and tailor your application to show how you fit the specific job requirements and have enthusiasm for that specific role makes WAY more difference than what you have done in terms of time served or post titles.

This blog entry and this forum entry and the shortlisting thread are the places I'd start reading to understand this.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com