Sample of cover letter

Discuss any aspect of applying for posts or courses (apart from the clinical psychology doctorate which has its own forum section), CVs, application forms, etc
AngelaRam

Sample of cover letter

Post by AngelaRam » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:20 am

Hello

I have 3 years experience in social care (started as a support worker and then been promoted twice within the organisation, currently working as Senior Supp.Worker) and I've worked with different populations including ASP, LD, severe challenging behaviour etc. I've also got an MSc conversion with Merit.

I have recently started applying for AP roles (less than a month) and in the last 10 days, I got rejected twice :roll: . One of the companies asked me to further discuss my application via phone which makes me believe that my experience and qualifications are decent enough so I am not been overseen as a candidate. However,I believe that I am doing something wrong in the cover letter and I don't sell myself strong enough to be offered an interview.

I have read and searched a lot regarding the application process, the person specification criteria and how we should reflect on our application that we meet each of them. However, is someone able to post or provide me with a good sample of a cover letter so I can get an idea of how its a high quality of personal statement?

Thanks

Geishawife
Team Member

Re: Sample of cover letter

Post by Geishawife » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:51 pm

It could be your cover letter, but, without meaning to sound harsh, I think you might need to address a couple of more fundamental issues.

First, you need to rethink how you describe the people you have been working with. Your description of "different populations including ASD, LD...etc" makes no reference at all to the fact you work with PEOPLE with a learning difficulty, or PEOPLE displaying behaviours that challenge. You have managed to reduce a large number of people (all individuals) to little more than a bunch of labels and diagnoses. I'm sure that wasn't your intention, but if you use such language in applications they will be binned!

Secondly, I would go over your application and check your spelling and grammar. Judging from your post, this could be letting you down ("I am not been overlooked" ; "don't sell myself strong enough"). I hate to be cruel about it, but this is an important area and if your application is not well written it will be overlooked in favour of those that are. Perhaps you could ask someone to look over your applications and check for spelling and grammatical errors.

Like I said, I don't want to be harsh or cruel, but fix those two important areas and you may well find you have more success.

miriam
Site Admin

Re: Sample of cover letter

Post by miriam » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:30 am

Beat me to it!
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com