Self-disclosure during interviews?

Discuss what to expect in job and course interviews, what topics might be covered, how to manage anxiety, and how to get the desired result!
em1994

Self-disclosure during interviews?

Post by em1994 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:51 pm

What are people's thoughts on self-disclosure of personal troubles with e.g anxiety, depression etc during an interview?
I saw on a person spec once something along the lines of 'lived experience of mental health difficulties/ services". I'm just wondering whether this would be appropriate or not.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
olive

Re: Self-disclosure during interviews?

Post by olive » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:42 pm

Late reply, but I think this is a really important point.. I personally think it adds something to your experience, and you may be able to be more compassionate and empathetic towards others because of it. I think if it fits in with the questions asked then I wouldn't be afraid to mention it, as opposed to purposely fitting it in if you see what I mean. They cant discriminate for that anyway.