Surrey dclinpsy interview -how personal?

Discuss what to expect in job and course interviews, what topics might be covered, how to manage anxiety, and how to get the desired result!
Jay1

Surrey dclinpsy interview -how personal?

Post by Jay1 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:27 pm

Hello,

I have been invited to interview at Surrey this year which is very exciting! My understanding is that the interview focuses on your personal experiences and the interviewer hopes to gain an understanding of who you are as a person. I like this approach as I am comfortable talking about myself and my experiences however I have been told that actually the interviewers are more interested in how you approach this; whether you can "handle" it and if you are "robust" enough to manage the demands of the course. I interpreted this advice in a way that suggested you have to be careful about what you share for fear of looking "weak" in some way-I disagree with this, I'm not ashamed of my past experiences and I feel my ability to work through this shows a certain resilience but it made me question myself. Is there a balance to be struck? If so how do you reach it? How have previous, upcoming, candidates approached this?

Thanks for your help!

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
maven
Site Admin

Re: Surrey dclinpsy interview -how personal?

Post by maven » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:29 pm

What makes you think that about the interview at Surrey? It sounds like you are jumping to some pretty specific conclusions, based on nothing more than rumours!
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

BlueCat
Site Admin

Post by BlueCat » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:48 pm

Also, there's no guarantee that what's happened in the past will happen this year. I think in general, with DClin interviews the interviewers will be interested in your way of approaching questions, as well as the factual content of your answers. Process as well as content. Good luck with your interview.
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

Ruthie

Post by Ruthie » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:30 am

IMHO this is one of those times where "be yourself" is probably the best advice. Go ahead and talk about your perspective on this. You are reflecting on your life experiences, if the interviewers don't like this ...do you want them to be your managers, supervisors, tutors etc? Your course will have an impact on your career for years to come so choose well.

Obviously you need to do this in a way that you are personally and professionally comfortable with. For me personally, I don't say things at interview if I wouldn't say them to my colleagues is a work context. I wouldn't want to share so openly that a successful result would make me feel that I had sold my soul to get it or mean I wouldn't feel comfortable interacting with the interviewer as my senior in a work context. I also wouldn't want to share so openly that an unsuccessful interview result would feel very personally rejecting. I don't think there are hard and fast rules about sharing at interview but knowing your own boundaries and being able to reflect in a way that is safe and comfortable for you is a good starting point.

Good luck!
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken Him completely by surprise.

Jay1

Post by Jay1 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:52 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your replies-all very useful. The information I have about the interview process was from previous trainees as well as the Alternative Handbook so I don't think I am jumping to conclusions as such-I was merely reflecting on how I could approach this if the interview was like that. Of course no one can really know what an interview might be like until you are there but I can only be myself and i think a too prepared answer is not really going to come across very genuine anyway!

Oh also Maven I just wanted to clarify that the comments about what the interviewers were looking for e.g "robust" "resilient" was not specific to Surrey, but more a comment made by a psychologist when discussing personal reflection.

Thanks for your good wishes! I'm excited/very nervous!

reishi

Post by reishi » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:09 pm

Ruthie wrote:IMHO this is one of those times where "be yourself" is probably the best advice. Go ahead and talk about your perspective on this. You are reflecting on your life experiences, if the interviewers don't like this ...do you want them to be your managers, supervisors, tutors etc? Your course will have an impact on your career for years to come so choose well.

Obviously you need to do this in a way that you are personally and professionally comfortable with. For me personally, I don't say things at interview if I wouldn't say them to my colleagues is a work context. I wouldn't want to share so openly that a successful result would make me feel that I had sold my soul to get it or mean I wouldn't feel comfortable interacting with the interviewer as my senior in a work context. I also wouldn't want to share so openly that an unsuccessful interview result would feel very personally rejecting. I don't think there are hard and fast rules about sharing at interview but knowing your own boundaries and being able to reflect in a way that is safe and comfortable for you is a good starting point.

Good luck!
Hey,
I'm digging up every corner of the forum for the past couple of days and sometimes reading stuff about applications and courses cause other questions. This was one of them. I thank OP for asking it and thank you for giving an answer that just clicked right for me :mrgreen:
"Ever since psychoanalysis came up, everybody's ill more or less."

pm615

Post by pm615 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:34 pm

Just want to say how much i love Ruthie's response - LOVE IT SO MUCH!! Thank you :)