"I've got to do a presentation, please help" posts

Discuss what to expect in job and course interviews, what topics might be covered, how to manage anxiety, and how to get the desired result!
BlueCat
Site Admin

"I've got to do a presentation, please help" posts

Post by BlueCat » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:02 pm

It can be really anxiety provoking to have to do a presentation at an interview, especially if it is in a specialty in which you feel less experienced. It is natural to want to ask for help with regards to what to do! However, just coming straight out and asking "I have got to do a presentation on "insert topic here" what should I put in?" is unlikely to get many helpful responses, especially if you are a new(ish) member of the forum, as this is a co-operative venture and there needs to be some give and take. Also, remember that this is a popular website and the people against whom you are being interviewed will likely be reading this as well, so taking this approach is unlikely to make you stand out!

It would probably be a better idea to do as much of your own research as possible - DoH, NICE, BPS guidelines are often good places to start, as is Google (sounds obvious but people often forget!). Once you've got your research done, and got your ideas together, it may be appropriate to ask for opinions on the proposed content, but bearing in mind that your competition may also be reading the forum!

Posted on behalf of the mods team
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
lakeland

Re: "I've got to do a presentation, please help" posts

Post by lakeland » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:16 pm

There's been a few good threads recently with lots of helpful advice - off the top of my head one about working in medium secure settings, and a couple about LD interviews. Would it be helpful to have some wiki posts collating the information where people can see what kind of things it may be useful for them to have information for when interviewing for a particular speciality?

For example, an 'Applying/Interviewing for a post in secure services' Wiki, 'Applying/interviewing for a post in LD' Wiki, CAMHS, Older Adults etc.

A lot of the information is already on the forum, and newbies can be directed to a particular Wiki, as well as the Search function. This would assist for application forms, interviews and presentations, as well as being useful for people thinking about areas they may like to work in.

I'm happy to start collating a few of these from the more recent threads if people think this will be useful.

Borrowed Cone

Post by Borrowed Cone » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:28 pm

My problem with this idea is that creating a one-stop-shop for specific presentation preparation takes away the whole point of the process: to differentiate candidates on their ability to apply their existing knowledge to a potential role and be creative, blah blah blah.

Whilst I'm all in favour of offering advice on proposed content, I don't think it should be the forum's job to do people's presentations for them. At least allow people to use their ingenuity and use the "search" function for potentially relevant data that they can collate for their presentation.

I understand that there is a lot of anxiety around "getting it right" and "not missing anything out", or "what if someone's presentation is better than mine". Well, someone's presentation probably is better than yours. But it might not be. So give it a go first without ripping off someone else's ideas, which is, frankly, plagiarism.

The Cone
"We can rebuild him. We have the technology. But I don't want to spend a lot of money..."

ell

Post by ell » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:23 pm

Good idea for a 'sticky', and while I think Cone puts it quite strongly, I have to agree with them.

I have been musing on the difference between providing information (which is the aim of the Wikis of course) and giving people help with their interviews/applications. I think it would be a good idea to create some Wikis about the assistant psychologist role in various service types. For example, I would be happy to write one about the role of the AP in older adult services. It would have to be a very general description of the types of things an AP might do in a particular service, rather than a 'this is my job' thing, as each job can be very different even within the same type of service. This kind of information should hopefully provide 'thinking points' for someone preparing for an AP interview in that service, rather than telling them what to prepare or say. This idea is similar to what Lakeland is suggesting, but I'm thinking more of a general information Wiki about being an AP, rather than a 'how to prepare for an interview in service type X' type of thing. Possibly a subtle difference though...

What do people think?

L

Lancelot

Post by Lancelot » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:28 pm

I agree with Cone and Ell. To me, the point of this sticky is to stop people from being lazy and just posting what shall I do for my presentation without any input. A wiki presenting this all for them, we are doing a disservice to the profession. Also to the poor selectors, since they make candidates do this task to differentiate between candidates.

I'm sure we want AP/future CPs to have their own ideas and be able to put in the effort to research themselves.

Though one thing that could be highlighted and more explicit, as people continually forget/ignore, etc. is that there a SEARCH facility with some very valuable information.

:D :D :D