Triage?

Discuss what to expect in job and course interviews, what topics might be covered, how to manage anxiety, and how to get the desired result!

Triage?

Post by 017746 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:44 pm

Hi everyone,
I have an interview next week for a psychology practitioner. I have found a lot of information about stepped care approach, however, I am struggling to find anything on Triage :?
If anybody would be willing to point me in the right direction, I would be very grateful. :D

astra

Re: Triage?

Post by astra » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Try Google?
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn

Post by 017746 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:17 pm

Thanks astra :) I had been doing this for a while before I posted on this site but after some perserverence and a few changes to my searches, I finally came across the Australian triage scale. Am I right in thinking that this is what I was looking for?

Claudia

Post by Claudia » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:42 pm

017746 wrote:Am I right in thinking that this is what I was looking for?
Unfortunately it is a little difficult to know what exactly what you are looking for :lol: :D :lol: - have you googled "IAPT Triage" as that gave me some ok hits that could give you some info about what services are doing.....
:cyclops:

Post by 017746 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:00 pm

I'm focussing on the differences between stepped care and triage

Borrowed Cone

Post by Borrowed Cone » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:18 pm

017746 wrote:I'm focussing on the differences between stepped care and triage
This may be totally off the mark, but if I was to hazard a guess I would say triage is a process of "ranking" people by need, and putting them on a big waiting list to be seen in that order; whilst stepped care includes a process of triage but then allocation to various levels of intervention as needed, meaning people can theoretically be seen quicker with the appropriate level of care... in an ideal world!
"We can rebuild him. We have the technology. But I don't want to spend a lot of money..."

Claudia

Post by Claudia » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:24 pm

017746 wrote:I'm focussing on the differences between stepped care and triage
The focus on differneces between them has me puzzled, triage can be used to help with delivery of stepped care - eg referrals are triaged in some way to identify what step is required.....
:cyclops:

Chessie269

Post by Chessie269 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:31 am

Triage is an old term stemming from the war (I think), and it is used most commonly in A&E, but also works in IAPT settings. It basically means that you assess a patient and find one of three conclusions: patient will die no matter what; patient will 'recover' without your help; patient requires your help to 'recover'. Most people who ring IAPT will be in the latter category (hopefully not in the first!) In relation to stepped care, then it is assessing which step (2 or 3) is best for the individual.

That's my two cents, anyway.

Keyser_Soze

Post by Keyser_Soze » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:28 pm

Hi 017746,

I'm currently working as a PWP and we do a lot of triage in our service.

In the context of primary care, a triage can be considered as a 'quick and dirty assessment', in the sense that you are trying to glean just enough information from the patient to establish their symptoms, so that they can be referred to the most appropriate treatment stream. In this sense it's no different from a medical triage. Identify the symptoms and refer to the most appropriate service (which a lot of the time will be your own!). In this sense it's important to gather information about severity, chronicity, complexity and risk, so that you have a clear idea of which 'step' of the stepped care model is appropriate.

Our triages take about 20 minutes and a qualified clinician does 5-6 per day (trainees have more protected time). The paperwork takes an ungodly amount of time either way.

Given how brief they are, it's not appropriate to generate a formulation during this assessment and we usually reserve this for the first treatment session. Triaging is all about speed, volume and precision.

I'm unsure why you're trying to distinguish stepped care from triage. They are both part of the same thing. A triage basically a filter which sorts patients into the relevant step.