Is honesty always the best policy?

Discuss what to expect in job and course interviews, what topics might be covered, how to manage anxiety, and how to get the desired result!
Followerofdreams

Is honesty always the best policy?

Post by Followerofdreams » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:12 pm

Hi All,

I just want to hear what other people's ideas are on telling your current employer about having time off for an interview.
Here is my current predicament:

I have been invited to an interview for an AP role. I have booked the last slot of the day so that I wouldn’t have use too many holiday hours. The problem is that the interview day is being held on our team’s away day. I’m not sure how to approach my boss about being allowed the time off even though it would only be a couple of hours. My current role is unrelated to clinical psychology but I have been open about my interests and my hopes to get into psychology. Also I should note that I have made my boss aware about an internal interview which is occurring a couple of days before.

On one note I feel I should be open and honest but then I feel I’m putting my current job at risk. I don’t want my boss to feel I’m not a team player or dedicated.

Any thoughts?

BenJMan

Re: Is honesty always the best policy?

Post by BenJMan » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:29 pm

Hrmm.. it's a tricky one.

I WANT to say honesty is best and that it will be fine and 9/10 that is probably the case, i have certainly had bosses be wonderful at giving me time for interviews that will progress my career. That said I have had a boss who got very stroppy about me going and it became an uncomfortable point between us. I like to think that is rare though.

The problem you have is that any alternative reason you give is going to be a lie and they can inevitably bite you just as hard as the truth. I'm not sure who you work for etc, the NHS certainly has policies about people being allowed to go to interviews. In the end I suppose it will come down to how you feel about your boss and whether you think they would be supportive or not. You are being very reasonable about only having a few hours, most people will request the day to avoid any extra stress, so they should be nice about it, if they are a decent human being!
I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for all people ~ Maya Angelou.

Followerofdreams

Post by Followerofdreams » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:51 pm

Thanks for your reply BenJMan :)

Well my boss seemed supportive over the internal interview so I would hope that she would feel the same over this one. She even said that she didn’t expect me to stick around (which I hope is a positive remark rather than “I can’t wait to see the back of you”).

Followerofdreams

Post by Followerofdreams » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:32 pm

I just thought I would post the outcome. My current manager was really positive and supportive. She asked me a few questions about the role and how I was preparing. It turns out honest is the best policy on this occasion or at least I hope there's no backlash.

BenJMan

Post by BenJMan » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:40 pm

Yay !
I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for all people ~ Maya Angelou.

bethpaterson

Post by bethpaterson » Mon May 04, 2015 9:28 pm

Hi all,

Sorry to bump up this thread from a while ago, but your dilemma is the same one I've had. I had an interview scheduled for the same time as an important work meeting. I contacted them but was unable to change the time. After debating for a while, I decided to tell my boss who just like yours was actually very supportive :) So in my view, yes, honesty is the best policy!

Beth

Followerofdreams

Post by Followerofdreams » Fri May 15, 2015 6:56 pm

That's good to hear :) I hope the interview went well.

I think the consequences of being found out lying are normally a lot worse than being truthful.