Rethink Bank Mental Health Recovery Worker

Discuss what to expect in job and course interviews, what topics might be covered, how to manage anxiety, and how to get the desired result!
jyddx

Rethink Bank Mental Health Recovery Worker

Post by jyddx » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:01 pm

Hi there! :)

I have trawled through the search for this, but nothing is quite what I'm after so I thought I might as well ask.

I've just got an interview for a bank mental health recovery post with Rethink. I was wondering if anybody else has had an interview for this/similar with Rethink and could advise me on what to expect? The interview email literally just lists the date and time, and says it's a structured interview, so there's nothing for me to go on there.

For background, I'm a second year undergrad Psychology student. I do work with an eating disorders charity running peer support meetings for students with eating disorders and am about to begin volunteering at a suicide respite centre. So I wouldn't say I have any particularly official looking mental health experience thus far, and so I don't really have any past mental health job interviews to draw on!

If anyone has any pointers as to what to expect that would be fab :)

AnonymousMouse

Re: Rethink Bank Mental Health Recovery Worker

Post by AnonymousMouse » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:30 pm

Hi!

I actually did this job a few years ago! From what I can remember, the interview was very informal. I met with two members of staff, who took turns to ask me set questions which were mostly drawing on my own experience - e.g. 'Think of a time when...' 'What would you do if...' 'Give an example of when...' Type questions. For the interview, I would definitely say think about managing risk, times you've been involved with service users therapeutically, times you've had to manage difficult situations/relationships and issues of confidentiality.

For what its worth, the job was really enjoyable. It gave me a whole new perspective on ways of working, as the services that I was working across were very 'recovery focused' (I.e. getting residents to a place where they could function in the community, thinking about how they could manage difficulties next time, etc.). And it was great experience in terms of working with a whole new client group!

I'd also say that the experience you're getting so far sounds really good too, but try not to take on too much. I really, really can't stress this enough, focus on getting the best possible grade that you can in your degree!

Good luck and let us know how you get on :)

jyddx

Post by jyddx » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:02 pm

AnonymousMouse wrote:Hi!

I actually did this job a few years ago! From what I can remember, the interview was very informal. I met with two members of staff, who took turns to ask me set questions which were mostly drawing on my own experience - e.g. 'Think of a time when...' 'What would you do if...' 'Give an example of when...' Type questions. For the interview, I would definitely say think about managing risk, times you've been involved with service users therapeutically, times you've had to manage difficult situations/relationships and issues of confidentiality.

For what its worth, the job was really enjoyable. It gave me a whole new perspective on ways of working, as the services that I was working across were very 'recovery focused' (I.e. getting residents to a place where they could function in the community, thinking about how they could manage difficulties next time, etc.). And it was great experience in terms of working with a whole new client group!

I'd also say that the experience you're getting so far sounds really good too, but try not to take on too much. I really, really can't stress this enough, focus on getting the best possible grade that you can in your degree!

Good luck and let us know how you get on :)

Thank you so much for such a detailed response! :) It does sound like a really interesting job, so it's good to hear first hand that it was enjoyable. I'll spend some time reading up on current mental health legislation etc and more about Rethink as a company too, and have a good think about things I've already done so I'll be able to formulate good answers. Ah, thanks! I like to do little extra things here and there to add a practical element to what really is a very dry, hands-off course, but of course I know I can get experience after my degree, but can't go back and put more work into my degree once I've graduated!

Thanks again, I'll report back once it's done!

ElizabethB

Post by ElizabethB » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:41 pm

Hey

I also used to work as a mental health recovery worker at rethink. Similarly to AM, the interview was very informal. The rethink website contains lots of useful information on their ethos and focus. Discussions were based on prior experiences and scenario based situations and my understanding of recovery.

I really enjoyed the position. Lots of fascinating and very insightful experiences surrounding recovery and how to support people with varying diagnoses (schizophrenia, depression, OCD along with multimorbidites), insights into barriers around organisational barriers, attitudes towards mental health and interaction with many mental health professionals. They also offer useful training days and online courses.

There's also different roles and services within rethink (housing, crisis, outreach, research?) so it maybe worth having some thoughts and understanding of different roles and how this may impact duties (ie mental health recovery worker versus assistant mental health recovery worker).

I agree with AM, sounds like you've got some good experience, but definitely go for the best undergrad degree possible.

Best of luck :)
"I am different, not less."—Temple Grandin
'A door opened and I went through it!' Temple Grandin
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

jyddx

Post by jyddx » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:06 pm

ElizabethB wrote:Hey

I also used to work as a mental health recovery worker at rethink. Similarly to AM, the interview was very informal. The rethink website contains lots of useful information on their ethos and focus. Discussions were based on prior experiences and scenario based situations and my understanding of recovery.

I really enjoyed the position. Lots of fascinating and very insightful experiences surrounding recovery and how to support people with varying diagnoses (schizophrenia, depression, OCD along with multimorbidites), insights into barriers around organisational barriers, attitudes towards mental health and interaction with many mental health professionals. They also offer useful training days and online courses.

There's also different roles and services within rethink (housing, crisis, outreach, research?) so it maybe worth having some thoughts and understanding of different roles and how this may impact duties (ie mental health recovery worker versus assistant mental health recovery worker).

I agree with AM, sounds like you've got some good experience, but definitely go for the best undergrad degree possible.

Best of luck :)
Thanks ever so much :) The more I hear about it the more I'd really like to get it! Feel like it would be a good opportunity for me, and plus it would be great to get paid for something related to what I want to do - getting bored of retail and admin work haha :( Ah great, I'll look into that, hadn't thought about the other services they provide. Their website is super informative so far which is really useful. Thanks again :) have a great evening.