Task/exercise at interview

Discuss what to expect in job and course interviews, what topics might be covered, how to manage anxiety, and how to get the desired result!
becky1989

Task/exercise at interview

Post by becky1989 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:01 am

Hi everyone,

I have an AP interview coming up this week for an NHS mental health service.
On the person spec, it says certain criteria will be assessed by 'assessed exercise'.
I gather this means I will have to do some form of exercise/task during the interview, however they haven't informed me of this. All I know is that I have been allocated a 75 min slot for interview so it will obviously involve a task.

I was just wondering whether any one had had to do an exercise at interview before, and can you give me a rough idea of what was involved? role-play? formulation?

I obviously want to be as prepared as possible as I am stuck in a rut in my current job.

Also, another part of the person spec says they will assess my 'supervision records'. I'm currently working as an AP but we don't have structured supervision notes - any advice on what I can take along with me? I don't want to look under prepared

Many thanks in advance!

JBoulton

Re: Task/exercise at interview

Post by JBoulton » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:13 pm

The task where I work is two parts: an article with questions and an observation task.

Previously I have had to write a brief summary of a case I have worked on (formulation, treatment plan etc.), give a presentation on a topic and a thinking exercise based on an article (how it would affect practice etc). In my experience, if its a presentation then you find out beforehand (unless they want to be extra cruel), so it is likely to be some kind of written task either based on your knowledge, experience or a given article. In terms of preparation, that would depend on the service and client group and what kind of things are likely to come up. I wouldn't expect a role play if they haven't told you beforehand. You can always ring up and ask - in fact, I'd recommend doing that regardless.

I have never heard of an assessment of supervision records - especially as they are confidential.

rfdes

Post by rfdes » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:36 pm

Hi, I know when I've applied for job sthe person spec has stated that the competency would be determined by assessment or a test, however this hasn't always been the case. Given the duration of your interview you may have a task in addition to your interview. Typically I've experienced vignettes and on the spot presentations. I've also never been asked to bring along supervision records. Have they asked you to bring these records along in your invite to interview letter? Maybe you could clarify with them so that you don't bring any unnecessary documentation with you.

becky1989

Post by becky1989 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:22 pm

Thank you both for your replies.
I do expect some sort of task to be involved, given the duration of the interview - I can't possibly waffle for 75 mins haha.

I've always felt unsure whether to call an employer prior to an interview as I guess I see as a bit of 'cheating' if they pre-warn me of what the task will involve. I could definitely call them tomorrow and clarify the supervision records though.

I didn't actually receive a letter for the interview - I just got a notification through the NHS jobsite. The only information I have is the time and the location of the interview. It also says "no additional preparation required", so no, they havent specifically requested I bring supervision notes or informed me of any task.

I guess I wwill brush up on the research relating to the service group and keep my fingers crossed :)

Thank you!

JBoulton

Post by JBoulton » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:08 pm

AP posts are so competitive that I'd heartily recommend cheating (without actually cheating, of course). I tend to ring up and ask about the specific area of work they do (without sounding like I'm clueless), I like to ask about the models/approaches they use as this can tip you off about likely questions. Not to mention that on one ocassion the explanation of the role made it sound terrible, so that saved me a train ticket! Regarding the task, just simply say that you noticed there is a 75 minute time slot and you just wanted to double check that is correct, they should then hopefully mention the task and you could ask a question there.

I'd not take anything supervision related then, seems like a very odd criteria to me.