Maths/Stats test

Discuss what to expect in job and course interviews, what topics might be covered, how to manage anxiety, and how to get the desired result!
rubytuesday

Maths/Stats test

Post by rubytuesday » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:46 pm

I have an interview coming up for a clin psych course and as part of the process we are asked to do a 20-min maths/stats test. Does anyone have any clue about what this might entail? I'm OK at maths but stats not my strong point...
Do you think they'll want me to remember formulae?
Have not posted on here yet so hope it goes to right place!

ClaireEmma

Re: Maths/Stats test

Post by ClaireEmma » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:58 pm

I've got a test like this coming up too, I don't know what it involves beyond what it says on the email. I doubt anyone who has sat this sort of test before would want to share too much information as it may give an unfair advantage, but it's probably best to read up on basic statistics. I feel anxious about it too, but we're all in the same boat!

MindfulMouse

Re: Maths/Stats test

Post by MindfulMouse » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:59 pm

I think I've done the one you're talking about a couple of times before. It wouldn't be fair for me to disclose the content, but I found brushing up on the parts of maths/stats that I felt less confident in made the whole thing less scary. With these things I always find that building it up in your head to be the biggest scariest deal makes you more nervous than you need to be for the whole interview process. Even if you don't do so great in one thing, you might do amazingly on other things. You just never know how these things will work out.

If you're scared that you're not good at maths, I recommend using a free mathsy website like the Khan Academy.

If you're scared that you're not good at stats, I recommend looking at your Andy Field textbook or your fave stats book again and reminding yourself of what's what and how much you already do know!