RA interview - 45 min test?

Discuss what to expect in job and course interviews, what topics might be covered, how to manage anxiety, and how to get the desired result!
blackpurple

RA interview - 45 min test?

Post by blackpurple » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:00 pm

Hey everyone!

So, I've been lucky enough to get an interview as a research assistant, but I am really nervous about it! The email mentions a 5 minute presentation as well as a 45 minute written exercise. No further information was given. Has anyone else had an interview like this before? I was thinking of brushing up on statistics like t-tests, ANOVAs etc but nervous as to what may come up! I have had a little browse on previous threads but couldn't really find anything.

Any input would be most grateful!!

Thank you x

EDIT: This role is not a NHS one, its with a charity looking at kinship care for maltreated children. If that helps

Iwona

Re: RA interview - 45 min test?

Post by Iwona » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:10 pm

Hi
I've not had a written exercise for a RA post but I had one for an AP post and it mainly consisted of competency based questions, different scenarios etc. If you're in doubt maybe try contacting them and ask what will the written exercise involve? RA posts are not only about statistics. My current job involves recruiting participants, interviewing them, inputting the data into the system etc. In my interview i was asked about my experience of working with a particular patient group, communication, overcoming difficult situations, personal qualities that'd make me good for that job. I'd say that they were more interested in my clinical skills than what I knew about statistical analyses. Every job is different though and I'd go through the job description and person specification to have a better picture of what may come up at the interview. Does it mention that you'll be involved in the study design and analysis? Does it say what type of analysis is likely to be used?
I still think that if you contact them and ask them about the written exercise they should at least be able to give you a vague idea of what to expect.
Good luck!

bex4010

Re: RA interview - 45 min test?

Post by bex4010 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:14 pm

First off well done on your interview! And I would second Iwona, I would ring up and ask for some more information about the test. The worst they can do is give no further info. I am imagine it might be useful to think about research methods i.e. design, as well some of the SPSS stats stuff. Good luck with it and let us know how you get on.