Recovery Worker Rethink or STR worker NHS...

Discuss what to expect in job and course interviews, what topics might be covered, how to manage anxiety, and how to get the desired result!
natalie777

Recovery Worker Rethink or STR worker NHS...

Post by natalie777 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:12 am

Hi everyone,

Spent ages applying for interviews now two have come at once! Having a real dilemma as to which one I would pick...

The first is as a Recovery Worker for Rethink (mental health charity) it's a support housing place with 9 residents with mental health problems. Job descriptions mentions i'll be involved running groups, risk assessments and could be trained in CBT techniques. Would be great for my personal life as partner lives in the same area so would mean not doing long-distance but it's a very small team with just recovery workers.

The second is as a Support Time & Recovery worker for the NHS. It's a crisis resolution & home treatment team. Visiting service users in the community and in-patient settings, delivering agreed interventions. Larger team, however would be relocating pretty far.

I want to be a clinical psychologist so i'm trying to figure out which job would be best when working towards this career. Both jobs have the same goal of getting the service-user back into the community. Neither of the jobs have a psychologist in the team.

Any ideas?

Geishawife
Team Member

Re: Recovery Worker Rethink or STR worker NHS...

Post by Geishawife » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:03 am

Either would be a good stepping stone, so, if you are offered both, go with the one you think would suit you best and you feel you'd get the most out of in terms of growth and personal learning, rather than the one that would help you career wise, as either would help. Just as an after thought, although neither team has a CP, it might be worth checking if there are CPs working in the wider organisation with whom you could meet from time to time to get a handle on what they do. Good luck at the interviews.

natalie777

Post by natalie777 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:39 am

Thank you, that's good advise. I have been a volunteer Assistant Psychologist for a couple of months now so I'm hoping that would be ok as I really want to secure a paid assistant job after this job (if I get one of them)!

kazrw

Post by kazrw » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:05 pm

Firstly congratulations on two job offers!
I agree with the above post. Go with the job you would enjoy the most, both have excellent transferrability. Personally, I would say this career can be a long road, so go with the one that gives you the best work/life balance whilst providing job satisfaction.

I worked as a supported housing officer in a hostel for adults with mental health problems and loved the work...it gave me my first step to various other roles, all of which i loved, and eventually onto clinical training which i finish this year (hopefully!). I didn't have a traditional path onto clinical training, but i loved every second of the journey and avoided a lot of the stress that goes with getting on training by being in jobs i loved in their own right not just as a stepping stone to clinical psychology. Whilst on training I also worked alongside a crisis team which again would be great experience.

Also just an observation, but i'm sure i noticed in your original post that there was a whole paragraph on why the supported housing job would be good and just a line or so on why the crisis team job would be good for you...?

natalie777

Post by natalie777 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:13 pm

Thanks for the reply. What route did you take after that job? I've just got offered a NHS Rehabilitation Assistant interview today to add to the dilemma! I feel that out of all 3 I prefer the charity one but the NHS ones are more clinically related (and may be more respected where it's NHS) therefore would put me in a better position for applying for assistant posts in the future.

kazrw

Post by kazrw » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:18 pm

Wow really well done...3offers is amazing..i did housing worker, then group interventions facilitator in a prison, trainee forensic psychologist then onto clinical training...not one of my posts was in the nhs and it gave me more options of leadership/training/consultation than may have been possible in the nhs (all under supervision obviously!). So nhs experience isnt necessary they are looking for transferable skills...however admittedly nhs experience is a more traditional route. Good luck with whichever route you go down.x