Spinal Injury AP Interview

Discuss what to expect in job and course interviews, what topics might be covered, how to manage anxiety, and how to get the desired result!
Esuma

Spinal Injury AP Interview

Post by Esuma » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:07 am

Hi everyone, I found out yesterday I have my first AP interview for the NHS :D It's for a big spinal hospital, I'm really excited about the opportunity but I have absolutely no idea where to start with research and reading :? I have some experience volunteering in a physical health department and I've worked with people with ABI in the past so I have some knowledge of psychology and physical health but I didn't cover anything like this in my degree! I was wondering if anyone could recommend some starting points for reading / things to focus on? :) Any advice would be really appreciated, meanwhile I best get busy researching!

alexh

Re: Spinal Injury AP Interview

Post by alexh » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:25 pm

Esuma, for my first AP interview I decided to become an expert in the area with an obsessive amount of reading. It did not go well as I did this to the detriment of considering how I'd convey my own knowledge and skills from my previous experience.

A little introductory reading should suffice https://www.bps.org.uk/system/files/use ... lth_sc.ppt.

I highly recommend you spend the majority of your time focusing on core AP interview questions discussed elsewhere here. Person specification may be a good guide to what skills they are looking for. Reflecting on how you can apply the skills you have to this area is generally well spent. Thinking a little about what a psychologist brings to this area is also worthwhile.

Esuma

Post by Esuma » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:04 pm

alexh wrote:Esuma, for my first AP interview I decided to become an expert in the area with an obsessive amount of reading. It did not go well as I did this to the detriment of considering how I'd convey my own knowledge and skills from my previous experience.

A little introductory reading should suffice https://www.bps.org.uk/system/files/use ... lth_sc.ppt.

I highly recommend you spend the majority of your time focusing on core AP interview questions discussed elsewhere here. Person specification may be a good guide to what skills they are looking for. Reflecting on how you can apply the skills you have to this area is generally well spent. Thinking a little about what a psychologist brings to this area is also worthwhile.
Thank you so much for this, I know what you mean about over reading I made the mistake a few weeks ago and really did not do well in the interview I prepared for! I get really nervous in interviews so I'm going to try and manage that better this time and as you say go over standard questions and think about how my experience relates to the person spec

Esuma

Post by Esuma » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:13 pm

I've been getting myself in a real muddle and wondering if someone can help direct my reading and planning :?
Basically for an AP interview I had recently I was asked 'what psychological theories could be applied to this client group' which I've seen in the big interview list but I'm confused exactly what is wanted from this question. I think my main issue is that I had a complete blank last time and felt absolutely humiliated by it so I've given myself a mental block now! Is the question asking for specific theories about a client group e.g. with spinal injuries stages theory and developmental theory (just from one paper ive read so far these aren't necessarily the best examples) or is it asking about general theories like behaviourism / cognitive theory and how they can be applied? I'm also getting myself confused about what is a theory or a model!! I'm just so worried I've forgotten everything from my degree now after so long in support work! :(

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:09 am

This has been discussed quite a lot. Try using the search to bring up past threads :)
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Esuma

Post by Esuma » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:32 pm

Thanks Miriam I'd tried searching before and couldn't find anything but I've found loads now, think I must have been searching the wrong thing! :lol: I've found a lot of posts of people who have forgotten everything from their degree which has made me feel a lot better now too! It's been longer now since I graduated than the time I spent in my degree so I guess I shouldn't expect to remember everything!