No job offer yet but references being chased post interview

Discuss what to expect in job and course interviews, what topics might be covered, how to manage anxiety, and how to get the desired result!
psych_lad

No job offer yet but references being chased post interview

Post by psych_lad » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:20 pm

Title says it all- I have never experienced this before in the NHS so I am a little puzzled. I have not had a call to say whether I have been successful yet but just a call from HR after my interview saying they are chasing up references and they need one more.

Do they do this for all candidates they have interviewed?
Psych_lad

JBoulton

Re: No job offer yet but references being chased post interv

Post by JBoulton » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:40 pm

As far as I am aware, HR will not contact your referees until you have been offered the post and accepted. I would ring them and ask why they are chasing up your referees / ring the interviewer(s) and ask (when did they say you would find out?)

My other, less positive, thought is that your application doesn't have enough referees listed and they want you to name another.

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:43 pm

That's not strictly true, JBoulton. It has become standard practice in the NHS to not offer jobs until all references have been received. Some trusts take this to the extreme of wanting literally ALL references in - even those for the people they don't want to appoint!! - before informing anyone of the outcome. I can see how that might seem odd to many people, but that's the way some trusts do it.

psych_lad

Post by psych_lad » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:04 pm

Geishawife wrote:That's not strictly true, JBoulton. It has become standard practice in the NHS to not offer jobs until all references have been received. Some trusts take this to the extreme of wanting literally ALL references in - even those for the people they don't want to appoint!! - before informing anyone of the outcome. I can see how that might seem odd to many people, but that's the way some trusts do it.
That is very odd and is a waste of time for everyone! Oh well I guess I shouldn't get my hopes up.
Psych_lad

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:17 pm

I have certainly heard of employers that don't make offers until after references have been checked (and some have a tick box to ask if they can approach references before making an offer) and some where references are used as a 'tie-break', but I don't know of any that check references of people that they don't think are in the running for an offer.

Good luck, psych_lad!
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

psych_lad

Post by psych_lad » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:21 pm

I phoned the contact interviewer and it looks like I am being offered the job subject to satisfactory references! I'm over the moon!
Psych_lad

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:29 am

Well done! I hope the jog works out well.

Miriam, that was the policy in my last trust! It was one of the (many!) things that drove me to distraction there! They also tried to introduce a policy whereby all referrals to Psychology had to be approved by a psychiatrist first!! Ridiculous place!

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:18 pm

Hence it being a past employer!
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:32 pm

Indeed!!!