Patient panel interviews

Discuss what to expect in job and course interviews, what topics might be covered, how to manage anxiety, and how to get the desired result!
memekortain

Patient panel interviews

Post by memekortain » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:02 am

Hello

I wondered if any one has had experience of a patient panel interview and what type of questions to expect? I've heard that sometimes they can ask some quite strange questions such as 'if you were a fruit, what would you be?' Does anyone have experience of this?

bluegoat

Re: Patient panel interviews

Post by bluegoat » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:27 am

I've never heard of this. I struggle to see the relevance of the question.

In my experience, they tend to ask service-related questions.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:51 am

Any interview or meeting can use a metaphor choice question to get you to talk about yourself in a different way. It isn't any different to the "which lord of the rings character are you?" type quizzes that go round on facebook. But service users are just people who use services and normally function on panels to see whether applicants have basic empathy and social skills. Do they live in the real world and have some idea what the experience of a service user might be like and how their choices as a staff member can help or hinder recovery.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

han10

Post by han10 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:54 am

As an aside in a recent qualified interview I was asked what job I would be doing if I wasn't a clinical Psychologist (naturally it was open a cake and knitting shop - isn't that what every other psychologist wants to do?!)

As Miriam points out sometimes interviewers, whether service user or staff, want to know more about the human they will be appointing and I think it can be a hugely relevant part of the process.....I do have to admit it did throw me initially though!

JBoulton

Post by JBoulton » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:33 pm

I've always had a mix of service and personal questions

- Why do you want this job?
- What do you think is important to us (the client group)?

- What song would you sing on x-factor?
- What do you do in your free time?

For the most part, the questions are fluff. The important thing is whether the service users like you or not.

Amina

Post by Amina » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:42 pm

In a young people's substance misuse service I used to work in, we always had a separate 'young people's panel', (which was usually made up partly of ex service-users and partly of other young people who accessed the youth service) and a 'professionals panel' (manager, senior practitioner, youth worker).

Each panel created their own set of questions and after the interviews the two panels rated the answers before meeting to discuss who to employ. It was always really interesting to see the differences and similarities in questions (and therefore what the two panels focussed on) as well as the differing impressions of potential candidates.

As others have pointed out, having a 'patients/services users/clients' panel can be really useful in seeing which candidates can really connect with people, whether they are intimidated or respectful enough (some gems I can tell you from sitting in on interviews!!), and can give you a glimpse of how they might function in contact with 'clients'. Sometimes you get people who are seemingly brilliant in interviews, (thoughtful, reflective, knowledgeable, with loads of experience and really interact well with the panel), who then seem to be very different with a 'client' panel. Obviously this can be nerves, but sometimes reflects a lack of contact with 'clients', or a value judgement or 'us and them' perspective. So in my experience can be very useful.

memekortain

Post by memekortain » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:10 pm

Thank you very much for all your help. It's really useful to hear about your own experiences -from both sides of the panel too! I think patient panel interviews are a great idea too, it just seems a bit daunting as I have not experienced one before.

Thanks again

astra

Post by astra » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:01 pm

Ultimately they want to know who you are as a person and if you can hold an interesting discussion with them whilst being respectful, empathic and appropriate. That really goes for all interviewers, whether they are service users or not. THere are whole websites devoted to ridiculous interview questions about pizza toppings and such like and how best to answer them, but these might be more aimed at the business field so their ideal answers may not be so suited to mental health fields. The question being asked is just a vehicle to get you talking and thinking on your feet.
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn