AP Interview: Presentation query

Discuss what to expect in job and course interviews, what topics might be covered, how to manage anxiety, and how to get the desired result!
miknatissizpusula

AP Interview: Presentation query

Post by miknatissizpusula » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:17 pm

Hi all! I have my first AP interview coming up in a week (Yay! :D ) and I have been asked to prepare a presentation about my views on the role of an AP in a neuropsychology service. So far I have been looking at the job description and person specification to get an outline of the role and commenting on duties I would expect the AP to be given within the service, as well as the characteristics expected of the AP to have.

I wanted to ask people's opinions whether I would be expected to also point out how I would fulfill the requirements of the role/how I would overcome the challenges of the job during the presentation or whether it is better to keep it more neutral at the presentation stage and emphasize instead what I think about the role as opposed to how well I think I fit the role.

I am still so surprised I got the interview that I may be thinking too much about this. However I would hate to get the whole presentation wrong :oops: Any help much appreciated.

Geishawife
Team Member

Re: AP Interview: Presentation query

Post by Geishawife » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:21 am

miknatissizpusula wrote:I wanted to ask people's opinions whether I would be expected to also point out how I would fulfill the requirements of the role/how I would overcome the challenges of the job during the presentation
I would definitely try to weave this in, otherwise 's going to sound like you telling the interviewers what the JD and PS say - and they already know that! You have to demonstrate how YOU are the right person for the role as well as how YOU understand the role, not just what the paperwork says. That definitely means demonstrating what the challenges could be and how you might meet them.

sparklepants

Post by sparklepants » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:00 pm

I'm about to make a series of very vague suggestions, and won't mind at all if you ignore me:

Is there something here about going beyond the JD/PS [edit: I realise now that Geisha also said this - oops]? Like, maybe pulling out themes around what it is an AP does in neurospych, and then as Geisha says, mentioning challenges you think you'll face, and how you would expect to handle them? I'm also a fan of the idea of coming at things from a slightly different angle (not sure how much room for manoeuvre there is with this presentation title). Finally, is it worth thinking about what the role is not? Like, any misconceptions people might have, and then the reality. There could be a bit of room for humour in that. I think the content matters, but I suspect the delivery might be even more important.

Best of luck with it, hope it goes really well!

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:55 pm

sparklepants wrote: There could be a bit of room for humour in that. I think the content matters, but I suspect the delivery might be even more important.
Appropriate humour is always welcome! It can really bring a presentation to life. But it MUST be appropriate!!

miknatissizpusula

Post by miknatissizpusula » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:01 pm

Hi both! Thanks a lot for the feedback. It was definitely a challenge to prepare the presentation as I Wanted to talk about so much stuff but had very limited time to talk about them all. In the end managed to incorporate more about myself into it I think! I hope it works out in the end! :D