Cringeworthy things you said in an interview

Discuss what to expect in job and course interviews, what topics might be covered, how to manage anxiety, and how to get the desired result!
NotReally

Re: Cringeworthy things you said in an interview

Post by NotReally » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:10 pm

lingua_franca wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:54 am
They took me seriously and the joke fell flat.
Hands down, one of the worst moments known to mankind.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
rhapsodyinred

Re: Cringeworthy things you said in an interview

Post by rhapsodyinred » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:25 pm

Oh no Lingua_Franca! That's definitely something I would do though - I walked into a child planning meeting the other day and balked at the number of people in the room, then turned to my client who had started to cry, gave her a tissue and said "well, they look bloody scary but probably half of them don't need to be here". She laughed and it broke the tension, but the head social worker chairing the meeting looked very unimpressed. Whooops.

On a related note to your comment, LF - my dad was on interview panels at Oxford around 30 years ago, and part of the interview was having a meal with the panel. Apparently the oldest of the old fogies on the panel genuinely took points away if someone ate fruit with their hands instead of eating peaches or bananas with a knife and fork!

Recent interview: I met with a PI to talk about possibly partnering on a project - about ten minutes in, I realised I had booked an appointment with the wrong name... Mary Smith instead of Mary Brown (name changed). Very very awkward to realise I was speaking to someone who thought I was here to collaborate on research on neuroscience and artificial intelligence, instead of on looked after and accommodated children!