Presentation of a Research Proposal

Discuss what to expect in job and course interviews, what topics might be covered, how to manage anxiety, and how to get the desired result!
nancycruz

Presentation of a Research Proposal

Post by nancycruz » Tue May 17, 2016 12:11 am

Hey All,

I have recently submitted an application for PhD position and landed myself an interview (a first so this is very exciting)! I have been told that I will have to present my potential research topic (as I already predicted). The thing is, applicants were asked to type up a two page research proposal which I don't think has nearly enough depth to cover a 15 minute presentation.

I was wondering if anybody had done this before and had suggestions on a structure for the presentation because I really don't know what parts should be emphasized and such.

Thanks,
N

sarahg

Re: Presentation of a Research Proposal

Post by sarahg » Tue May 17, 2016 7:24 pm

Hello Nancy,

Congratulations!

I recently sat on a panel of selectors for PhD interviews and this is what I would suggest...

1) provide a general overview of the current literature. Show evidence that you have engaged with it (your not expected to be an expert on the topic - that's what your PhD is for!). Mention key papers/theories. Highlight the gap/current omissions in the literature (hence providing justification for research)

2) outline clearly the aims and questions for your PhD

3) clearly outline the methodology for your PhD - if you have already got a set of studies planned, outline these as well.
Mention your sample - including who they will be and proposed sample size.

4) Mention briefly how you will analyse your findings and what do you expect to find

5) Have a slide on the contribution to literature that your PhD will have (that's a criteria of obtaining a PhD - if must have an original contribution to knowledge - this is where you link back to literature)

6) have a slide on dissemination. Remember to include both academic and non-academic outputs. What will be the application of your research?

7) finally somewhere in your presentation, perhaps not at the end - I would highlight awareness of potential problems that could arise. For example, if you were planning a longitudinal study, there could be participant drop out. State how you plan to address these potential issues.

Sorry for spelling/odd sentences, I am on my phone and can barely see what I have written!

Good luck :)

Edit - remember to show enthusiasm for the subject!

nancycruz

Post by nancycruz » Wed May 18, 2016 1:43 am

Thanks Sarah! That is so incredibly helpful!! I think really I'm just so scared they'll want me to go into detail on what tests I will used to analyze the data...so daunting!

sarahg

Post by sarahg » Wed May 18, 2016 10:26 am

nancycruz wrote:Thanks Sarah! That is so incredibly helpful!! I think really I'm just so scared they'll want me to go into detail on what tests I will used to analyze the data...so daunting!
If you are worried about that - then prepare for it! They will not be expecting you to be an expert and answer every question correctly, that is what doing a PhD is for! However please do not say 'I will use SPSS to analyse the data' or throw every stats test you know at your PhD proposal. This is what I have seen people do... !

They want to see that you have an awareness of what a PhD entails i.e. It needs be a substantial amount of work that is enough for 3 years (often people propose too much at first though! But that is okay) and that it needs to make an original contribution to knowledge (but remember you don't need to re-invent the wheel!).

I am happy for you to PM if you wish :)