Help with second interview stage involving service users

Discuss what to expect in job and course interviews, what topics might be covered, how to manage anxiety, and how to get the desired result!
tasharall

Help with second interview stage involving service users

Post by tasharall » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:35 pm

Hi everyone,

I went for an interview for a support worker position on an inpatients ED ward (NHS) today and have just been informed that I have been invited to the second stage (yay)! All I know is that it will be comprised of a second interview/activity with the patients. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experiences of service users being present in the recruitment process and any preparation tips?

Thanks! :D

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Bela

Re: Help with second interview stage involving service users

Post by Bela » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:09 am

I think they key thing to remember is to be yourself! The interview will be assessing your personal qualities opposed to any particular knowledge or experience you have so just relax and enjoy whatever task they set you! In one of my interviews I had to build a tower that would hold a £1 coin. It was a lot of fun! The important thing isn't succeeding at the task, but working together and being respectful/ able to form a relationship with the person you are working with. Good luck! :)

AryaStark

Post by AryaStark » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:50 pm

Congrats on the second interview!
I've had interviews involving service users previously and I would echo the above in just being able to be yourself. Be mindful and considerate but otherwise don't be put off by the fact that service users are there interviewing alongside the employer. Treat them with the same respect as the employer during the interview and make sure you're communicating any answers to questions etc. with everyone involved, rather than just talking to one person.
With any task just relax and try to show that you can work in a way that incorporates everyone and gives everyone a voice. I find that these tasks are usually just to find out about your teamwork and 'people' skills rather than any critical thinking techniques. So don't get to hung up on the idea of a task or how hard it'll be! :D
Good luck! :D
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
-Max Ehrmann,"Desiderata"

tasharall

Post by tasharall » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:15 pm

Thanks Bela and AryaStark for all your advice I was offered the job! :)

Bela

Post by Bela » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:27 pm

Congrats - great news!! :lol: