Crisis Line Role

Discuss what to expect in job and course interviews, what topics might be covered, how to manage anxiety, and how to get the desired result!
Atlant

Crisis Line Role

Post by Atlant » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:36 pm

Hi!
Searched around the forums but couldn't find much really. Can anyone with an experience of offering support at a Crisis Line share some of her/his experience? I'm trying to understand more about the challenges of the role beyond the job description.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
lingua_franca

Re: Crisis Line Role

Post by lingua_franca » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:44 pm

I'm a volunteer counsellor for Childline and while we are not technically a crisis line we often hear from children in crisis situations. For me personally, the toughest thing is when a child hangs up in the middle of a call, and I don't know the reason why (if it's because their battery ran out, if someone arrived home and they didn't want to be caught on the phone...). I find these incomplete calls can leave me thinking and worrying about that caller. We have supervision/debrief immediately after shift, and this helps me to lay it aside before I go home. A related challenging aspect (and I know this isn't the same for all crisis lines) is the lack of continuity - I will finish listening to a child and after that I'm unlikely to ever hear from them again or know how they're doing, which was again quite difficult for me to get used to.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

Atlant

Re: Crisis Line Role

Post by Atlant » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:10 pm

Thank you for sharing. It seems like it's pretty difficult to have just that phone conversation to have some kind of impact and not knowing how it went further, but I guess this happens on regular sessions too, so there are similarities. The hanging up in the middle of a call is a little surprising, it must be distressing too, especially if it's a crisis situation.
Can't help but wondering - isn't data being collected in order to follow up somehow? Like name and some way of getting in contact. It should make things easier, right?