AP (Research) interview & have to do a presentation-any

Discuss what to expect in job and course interviews, what topics might be covered, how to manage anxiety, and how to get the desired result!
Holly 22

AP (Research) interview & have to do a presentation-any

Post by Holly 22 »

Hi I have an up coming interview for a research assistant psychologist for which I have to do an 8 minute presentation. This is the 3rd interview I have had and feel that it is my nerves during interviews that is letting me down and the thought of a presentation is not doing anytging to help the jitters!

I was wondering if anyone could offer any help/advice on where to research for my presentation and for the interview itself. The title of the presentation is:

" How to maximise recruitment and retention of people with bipolar disorder into a randomized controlled trial"

Any advice/help would be very much appreciated. Thankyou :-)
captain artichoke

Post by captain artichoke »

Hi,

Congrats on the interview - I completely empathise with irritating interview nerves.

I would start off thinking about why recrutiment and retention will be important in the study, and why may be a challenge. Then maybe just go through each stage of the research design/procedure etc just brainstorming. Some things might be the sources of recruitment, how people are approached, what info they are provided with (and what this looks like), use of incentives (and ethics/guidelines round that), and how the research staff build relationships with gatekeepers (important people at research sites) and the participants themselves. Also consider ethics about everything. Thinking about this relating to people with a diagnosis of bipolar disorder specifically would also be important. This list is by no means right or exhaustive - just ideas! Ooo - maybe you could suggest SU involvement around this issue - they'd probably know better than us.

Good luck with it.
:D
captain artichoke

p.s. just reading your post properly...

If you don't have access to any databases like psychARTICLES or whatever google books is brilliant.
Mr Ben

Post by Mr Ben »

Hey :)

For an 8 minute presentation, and looking at the question - reading between the lines at what it is actually asking, you could probably come up with enough relevant and effective material without doing any extra research.

I've just quickly jotted down (doing other people's work is a great procrastination method... :roll: :oops: ) my own thoughts on how I would approach it and already got a couple of pages of points. I'm not sure they're looking for knowledge so much - but your ability to use your skills as a psychologist... :lol: I don't want to give too much away (after all, I could be totally wrong) as it's of course gotta come from you :D.

Good luck,
Ben :)
captain artichoke

...but at least I kindly references google books (where I got it from)! :lol:
captain artichoke

and also (and slightly more seriously) - I think it can be a bit hard for people new to this site to feel like they have anything worthwhile to contribute, when there is such an overt difference in levels of knowledge and experience :oops:
Last edited by captain artichoke on Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam »

I don't think Mr Ben was disagreeing with your suggestions RD, I think he was saying that the panel might also be looking for common sense thinking and practical strategies which Holly might already be able to generate - if she was able to step past the nerves and the fantasy that everyone else could answer the question and she can't. Often it is getting past that mental block which is the problem, and I think you've given her a whole set of potential jumping off points also :)
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com
captain artichoke

Thanks Miriam - I didn't think he was disagreeing with 'my' ( :D ) suggestions, just that he was picking me up on how I'd gone about making some of them. I was just reflecting on why I might've done that. Its not an issue.

Good luck Holly.

RD
:D
Mr Ben

Post by Mr Ben »

Hellooo!

Nah - I hadn't read your message before I replied to Holly's post :)

Your ideas were good - I meant no offence :D

Best Wishes,

Ben :D
captain artichoke

I believe you Mr Ben - thousands wouldn't. :lol:
Holly 22

Post by Holly 22 »

Thankyou for all your help and advice it is very much appreciated and I will let you know how I get on :-)