Oxford course & placements

Discuss the content and style of the different clinical psychology doctoral training courses, the differences between them, placements, teaching, chat to other trainees and connect with other people who have places on the same course
aspire84

Oxford course & placements

Post by aspire84 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:48 pm

Hi There,

I am wanting to apply for the Oxford course. Is there anyone who is currently studying or has done this course? I would love to know what you thought of it, and the quality of their placements? I am interested in neuropsych, so hoping that its strong there? Also, where are the placements? The website says they cover surrounding counties (i.e. do I definitely need a car?!)

Any thoughts or advise would be greatly apreciated!

thanks!
"In the practise of tolerance, one's enemy is the best teacher" Dalai Lama

miriam
Site Admin

Re: Oxford course & placements

Post by miriam » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:17 am

Almost all of that information will be on the course website and/or in the alternative handbook. But yes, a very big geographical patch means owning and driving a car is pretty essential as you can be placed over an hour away from base.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

workingmama
Team Member

Post by workingmama » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:42 am

miriam wrote:Almost all of that information will be on the course website and/or in the alternative handbook.
You can buy the Handbook here (I'm scruddy at links, so you may have to cut and paste this):
http://www.bpsshop.org.uk/The-Alternati ... P1592.aspx
It's well worth the few quid, so I'd go get one.

I'd also think about using the 'search' function here (it's at the top kinda rightish of the forum page) and search 'Oxford'. You'll need to hunt a bit to find exactly what you want, but I'm sure you could narrow it down a bit.

Good luck!
Fail, fail again, fail better.

Gilly

Post by Gilly » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:53 am

here is the Clearing House page for Oxford: http://www.leeds.ac.uk/chpccp/20Oxford.html
You're not calling for help, are you?! ;)

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln.

urmaserendipity85

Post by urmaserendipity85 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:51 pm

I'm in my 3rd year of the Oxford course and I have to say I'm still enjoying it (despite having days where I wish I'd never heard of clinical psychology). It has been a good experience and the course are really supportive. As for the quality of placements, this varies across the board depending on the placements you're given, your supervisor and your own personality and preferences. Lots of us have enjoyed placements that others haven't so it's a very subjective experience. Neuro is my bag too, and the course tend to be quite accommodating about interests etc, although they do encourage you to broaden your horizons a bit. There is a neuro module in the 2nd year which I found really good, and I'm currently on a Neuro elective. There are a few Neuro placements around the area and certainly in my year everyone got what they wanted this year.
Placements could be anywhere from Milton Keynes to Reading, and Slough to Witney. The course covers Oxfordshire, Berkshire and Buckinghamshire, and you in all likelihood will only have one placement near Oxford (if you're lucky). Everyone has to travel, unless they have a disability that prevents them from driving. A girl in my year didn't get a car initially and got her first placement in Oxford but had to get a car after that. At the end of the day, there are only around 2 or 3 services which offer core placements in Oxford itself, so it wouldn't be fair to a cohort if just one person got them all. Though if you lived further out, say Reading, you'd be more likely to get placements near home as they're less in demand. Also during your second year your LD and older adults placements would be community based involving lots of home visits so it makes much more sense to have a car.

Hope that helps, feel free to PM me if you want any more information.

aspire84

Post by aspire84 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:49 pm

Thank you so much everyone! Very informative. WorkingMamma I will definitely buy that handbook, thanks for that! Urmaserendipity85 thanks for the info, I'm glad you are enjoying it, despite the occasional 'dark days' ! I will definitely be in contact with you privately...as I know I will have many more questions as my research continues... thanks a mill for offering! xx
"In the practise of tolerance, one's enemy is the best teacher" Dalai Lama