Clinical Training in Scotland - Aberdeen/Grampian

Discuss the content and style of the different clinical psychology doctoral training courses, the differences between them, placements, teaching, chat to other trainees and connect with other people who have places on the same course
MissKristyC

Clinical Training in Scotland - Aberdeen/Grampian

Post by MissKristyC » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:25 pm

Hi Everyone,

Does anybody have any information on Assistant's posts/ Clinical Psychology training in North Scotland??

I can't seem to find any information and also with clinical training (Through Edinburgh), If you select the grampian/Aberdeen area as your first choice at application and were (if to be so lucky!) accepted there, would you complete your three years in that area, or would you do placements in all different boroughs of scotland?

I am relocating to Aberdeen in the near future (from Teesside) and I am looking for more information or anybody to speak to with regards to psychology training. I hope I can persue Clinical psychology training up there!

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

K

mates

Re: Clinical Training in Scotland - Aberdeen/Grampian

Post by mates » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:49 pm

Hello there,

I am not fully updated with the processes but apparently if you picked an area as your first choice (and you, of course, are successful at the interview ;-)), then that's were you will be based for the duration of your training. Also, I heard that due to covering a pretty wide area of Scotland and the fact, that people are usually based in their chosen part, they also organised this 'distance learning' in order to cut travel and time cost to come to Edinburgh for lectures.

I am not sure if this covers your question; in either case, why dont you contact Nicole Tait, she is a very friendly lady and I am sure she will aswer in more details.

In the meantime - Good Luck with your interview!!!

M., x

MissKristyC

Post by MissKristyC » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:16 pm

Hi M,

Thanks for that information! It was very helpful, I am just worried about moving to Aberdeen and then having to move again if I ever get accepted onto training, In the meantime I'll be looking for a job with experience up there as I will be leaving an AP post where I am now,

I don't have an interview, I only made the reserve list for Edinburgh,

Thanks again,

K

magrat

Post by magrat » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:31 pm

Trainees in Scotland are employed by a specific health board, and so they are based in that health board throughout their training. In the past all teaching's been done in Edinburgh and trainees have had accommodation costs covered for teaching, but for the more distant trainees I believe they are now looking at doing some of the teaching through distance-learning, video-conferencing etc.

In terms of AP jobs, there tend to be fewer in Scotland than the rest of the UK. The situation has, as elsewhere, been particularly bad recently. If you're committed to staying in Scotland longer term, are you set on the doctorate or have you considered either of the MSc courses?

urmaserendipity85

Post by urmaserendipity85 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:42 pm

I don't mean this to put a dampner on things at all but I had 2 AP posts in Aberdeen. During my first one, there were about 6 of us regularly attending AP group meetings. When I left my second to start training, there was only one post still in existence, and that was non-NHS. The University might be a good place to look, to do some relevant research as an RA?

Nephthys

Post by Nephthys » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:08 pm

Worth bearing in mind that just because you put an area as your first choice doesn't mean that Edinburgh will give it to you, unless you completely cross off every other area, which leaves you competing just for a few places rather than 20-odd. Plus one Grampian trainee this year is based in Elgin (about an hour and a half from Aberdeen?) so there wouldn't even be a guarantee of being in Aberdeen, again unless you vetoed going elsewhere. Although I suppose Elgin would be commutable if you really didn't want to move. I know it can be stressful and a pain to have to move but most of us who started the Edinburgh course this year have had to move so you wouldn't be alone.

With regard to distance learning, the plan at the moment is for video conferencing to be used for up to 50% of teaching so you'd still be going down to Edinburgh for the other 50% in order to be able to meet up with the rest of the cohort and the academic staff :)

Good luck with the job hunt up north! :)

daydreambeliever

Post by daydreambeliever » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:44 am

Glasgow send trainees to the highlands these days, which might be another option for you? Less people are likely to want to move to north scotland for training, so being positive, I'd have thought your enthusiasm for staying in the area might help your chances? AP post-wise, at a push you could maybe consider Inverness, Dundee or surrounding area posts as well as Aberdeen/shire as you'd be looking at an hour commute? Not sure what your areas of interest are, but assistant ed psych posts sometimes come up in Aberdeen/shire too and would likely still give you relevant experience? As an aside, I'm from the north east originally so if you want any info on moving to the area more generally feel free to PM me.

MissKristyC

Post by MissKristyC » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:26 am

Thanks for your comments everyone, I feel a little reassured although I am still worried about it. I think I will apply for Edinburgh and if it's meant to be it's meant to be ( being selected for the Grampian boards), I am happy to commute or move anywhere around Aberdeen. If not then I will have to do something else such as stay at home in Teesside. My partner is moving to Aberdeen to work permanently and I would like to live up there, but it does seem that there are less opportunities at this stage in the route to clinical psychology. I am aiming for the doctorate I have already done an MSc and I would maybe consider another one but I cannot afford it in this climate, the last one cost enough :roll: :D

Thanks again,

K

daydreambeliever

Post by daydreambeliever » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:38 pm

Hi Kristy, if you're put off the Msc's in Adult/ Child psychological therapies because of the money aspect, unlike research Mscs both come with a Band 6 salary, as would a place on the doctorate course, so you'd be better paid to take an Msc place than to be an assistant, and the Scottish courses both seem to favour graduates from those Msc's because they have already demonstrated clinical competence with a particular group. I say that because several people I know who did the Msc course went on to get a doctorate place (although of course this isn't automatic and doesn't happen for everyone). I'm not sure how many places the Aberdeen area offers on those courses though. It's always harder to get experience in a given geographical patch than it is you're willing to move, but there are various options open to you in the Aberdeen area, maybe scope out what opportunities up there suit you from the job sites (e.g. jobs.ac.uk, www.show.scot.nhs.uk) and then make a judgement call.

Nephthys

Post by Nephthys » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:06 pm

As someone mentioned before, there is also the option of Tayside for training. Trainees have previously lived in Grampian and commuted down to Tayside for their placements, or your partner and you could choose to live somewhere between Aberdeen and Dundee to make it a bit easier for you. Not sure if there are many more assistant opportunities in Tayside, but on the plus side, vacancies will probably be popping up over the summer as people get offered places on the doctorate.

Kristy33

Post by Kristy33 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:22 pm

I have just read up on the MSc's and they're a great idea but it started in february and it's in Edinburgh, I'll keep looking, thanks again everyone

K

Nephthys

Post by Nephthys » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:20 pm

The Child MSc is provided by Edinburgh and the Adult MSc is Stirling. However, they have the same format as the Edinburgh doctorate, so you have placements in a health board and just go to the university for teaching. They are worth considering if you're interested in them, though they're probably as competitive to get on as the doctorate.

trainee123

Post by trainee123 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:10 pm

You may find this post interesting...

https://jobs.scot.nhs.uk/%28S%2815owgf5 ... ychologist

MissKristyC

Post by MissKristyC » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:58 pm

Hi,

I check this regularly,

Thanks

K

trainee123

Post by trainee123 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:04 pm

I was referring to the assistant psychologist post that is being advertised in Aberdeen at the moment...Given that it is very unlikely that Grampian will have additional assitant posts anytime soon I thought you might find it interesting. As you regularly check the nhs scot jobs website I won't make any further suggestions.