Work Experience Abroad

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
Ferris

Work Experience Abroad

Post by Ferris »

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to build up my work experience for the Clinical doctorate and would really like to try something abroad. Does anyone have any experience of this or know where I can get it? I would like something psychology/mental health related to add to my CV and although paid would always be preferrable I don't mind voluntary (so long as it doesn't leave me thousands out of pocket!!)

I've got a BSc in Psychology and an MSc in Forensic Psychology and currently working as a PWP, although i have some experience as a support worker for both mental health and brain injury.

Any advice would be massively appreciated

Thank you
missvanwilder

Re: Work Experience Abroad

Post by missvanwilder »

Hi, yeah I gained clinically relevant work experience abroad (Australia). I did this mainly because I wanted to travel and it allowed me to add to my CV in a relevant way, whilst also funding my travels.

I'd recommend doing something similar if your primary reason for doing so is that you want to travel. However, if you're planning on using it just to get different experience for the clinical doctorate it may not work in your favour as much as you might think. I thought my work experience may give me an 'edge', but when speaking to one of the shortlisters for the Birmingham course, I was told that it wouldn't add that much as they want to see NHS experience preferably and a dedication to the health service in this country.

I have to say that although my experience may not make my application any stronger, I'm very glad I did take the time out to go travelling etc - definitely some of the most amazing experiences I've ever had :)

Hope that helps a bit, but let me know if you want to know anything else :) x
Ferris

Post by Ferris »

That's great thanks. What is it you did and how did you get round to doing it? I do really want to travel whilst I'm young and have no ties, but wanted to do something that was relevant, even if it doesn't particularly add to my CV I would still like to experience another culture whilst sticking with something psychologically based. I know there's always opportunities to work in bars or the like, but I'd feel like I'd wasted my year a bit if I did something like that.
missvanwilder

Post by missvanwilder »

Hi Ferris,

Someone else asked something similar a while ago so the following link might help: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11681&hilit=downunder

However, the above just relates to Australia. If you do go travelling, I'd recommend that you primarily focus on enjoying it and view finding work as merely a way of funding it. If you manage to find relevant work then bonus! :) Just a thought anyway :)

Good luck with your plans :) x
psy40174

Post by psy40174 »

-------------------------------------------------------
“I used to think that the brain was the most wonderful organ in my body. Then I realised who was telling me this.” - Emo Philips
sparki

Post by sparki »

Hi there

I spent two summers working as a camp counsellor at a summer camp in America. I had the most fantastic summers. It was an amazing experience which I would definitely recommend! It's a great way to get experience working with children, and I spent time travelling the USA after the camp season ended. There are camps for children with autism, learning disabilities etc. So I think it's a way of gaining some relevant experience working with special needs and getting to do a bit of travelling too. Unfortunately it would be too late for this summer, but there's always next year if this is something that would interest you!

Sparki
Orangeade31

Post by Orangeade31 »

Hello,

I've done quite a lot of work abroad because I love people and I find them fascinating. I've volunteered in several services and worked with several companies all with different approaches and budgets! Some ideas include:

Volunteers for Mental Health - working in Romania with people with mental health difficulties
Cross Cultural Solutions - lots of placements in lots of countries but I worked in a secure Psychiatric Facility in Russia - not for the faint hearted! And also, expect to save for a long time before you go - its an expensive company.
Be-More - a Dutch company who mainly work in South Africa, again, with various placement options. I worked in a hospice for people with HIV which has unfortunately now been closed. But its very reasonably priced for a volunteering agency.

I've also taught English in a few countries too and if you are interested in that at all I can recommend several companies if you PM me.

I have to agree with others that its not that helpful on the old CV. But I still don't regret everything I've done. I feel like it was worthwhile for me personally if nothing else. You have to do some stuff for yourself when your young and not just focus on your career. Lets face it, you could jump through every hoop, get a nobel peace prize and fly to the moon and in this climate you still might not get a job so you might as well just enjoy yourself! :)