Palliative care

This section is for questions relating to therapy, assessment, formulation and other aspects of working with people in mental health services.

captain artichoke

Palliative care

Post by captain artichoke »

Hey there,

Does anyone have any advice, particularly good books, tips to self-care etc for working with clients who are dying, but in a non palliative care setting.

Thanks
CA
workingmama
Team Member

Re: Palliative care

Post by workingmama »

It's not even remotely what you're looking for (sorry - I'm sure someone will be along with a useful list soon!), but I've just re-read 'Tuesdays with Morrie' and recalled how much I loved it. It's about a man visiting his old lecturer, who is dying, and what he learned from being with Morrie over the months at the end of his life. Very touching.
Fail, fail again, fail better.
captain artichoke

Post by captain artichoke »

Thanks WM, have amazoned it :D . Hoping someone else might also have some other hints and tips.

CA
Dragonfly

Post by Dragonfly »

I would highly recommend "Intimate Death: How the Dying Teach Us How to Live" by Marie De Hennezel. Marie is a Psychologist working in a hospice and she talks about people she has worked with. Very illuminating read with also some really good tips and stories about how a palliative care team can work well together.