The Cathartic thread - rant here!

Anything that does not fit into the above categories, but is related to psychology, including discussion of public and media perceptions of psychology, satire related to psychology, etc.
Blackbubblequeen

Re: The Cathartic thread - rant here!

Post by Blackbubblequeen » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:02 pm

After almost a year working as an AP it's come to that point when I need to start searching for jobs again. The one thing that bugs me above all at the moment is the AP job adverts that get posted at some point during the day and taken down again before 5pm. As an individual that is working normal office hours how on earth am I expected to apply for a post when it comes and goes whilst I'm at work and unable to sit for hours on end applying for jobs!

The person specifications often state that they need somebody who has previous experience in a paid AP role, yet by taking it down within 2 hours (yes, I really have found jobs that were only posted for two hours) they are immediately excluding those of us who are already working in full time AP posts and who potentially have good experience due to these posts. It really does seem to defy logic!!!!!

ThereIsAlwaysCake

Post by ThereIsAlwaysCake » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:03 pm

Just when I thought lettings agencies couldn't sink lower, I receive my tenancy agreement today which proposes to choose my energy supplier for me (Utilities Warehouse/SSE),earning a commission for the agents whilst also preventing me from changing to alternate suppliers without their consent!

Even more ridiculous they frame it as a 'service' they offer. Presumably some of my £300+ fees for photocopying a contract have gone towards this 'service'. No wonder both the agents from this company I've met were driving very nice cars.

Pointless, talentless, charlatan parasites.

Even worse I've had such trouble finding somewhere I like that I'll probably feel like I'd better sign it or spend months in temporary digs!

BenJMan

Post by BenJMan » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:28 pm

ThereIsAlwaysCake wrote:Just when I thought lettings agencies couldn't sink lower, I receive my tenancy agreement today which proposes to choose my energy supplier for me (Utilities Warehouse/SSE),earning a commission for the agents whilst also preventing me from changing to alternate suppliers without their consent!

Even more ridiculous they frame it as a 'service' they offer. Presumably some of my £300+ fees for photocopying a contract have gone towards this 'service'. No wonder both the agents from this company I've met were driving very nice cars.

Pointless, talentless, charlatan parasites.

Even worse I've had such trouble finding somewhere I like that I'll probably feel like I'd better sign it or spend months in temporary digs!
Is that even legal...? I'm not sure anyone can make you sign up to an agency (in your name)..
I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for all people ~ Maya Angelou.

Borrowed Cone

Post by Borrowed Cone » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:46 pm

Some agencies do this, but I'm sure if people could afford/ be bothered to challenge it then it would be found unlawful!
"We can rebuild him. We have the technology. But I don't want to spend a lot of money..."

ThereIsAlwaysCake

Post by ThereIsAlwaysCake » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:26 am

You don't give up your legal right to change supplier no, but they couch it in legal weasel wording in your contract:

"Not to change the supplier of these services, or the telephone number at the Property, without formal permission from the Landlord or the Landlord's Agent, such permission not to be unreasonably withheld or delayed."

The bolded bit, as I understand it, is basically saying they can't deny you permission for no good reason (i.e. because they want to make a profit). If other suppliers are cheaper I will be on this as soon as I move in. It won't prevent them getting their kickback for the new signup, but they won't get their percentage of my energy costs (no, really).

CuppaT

Post by CuppaT » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:20 pm

So here I am, behaving professionally and politely and there YOU are, aggressively cutting me off mid-sentence, in front of all of my colleagues, because you refuse to answer my innocent and politely asked question. So YOU talk over me when I try to speak, so that I can't ask for any clarification. So I can't ask a question about a decision YOU made about someone on MY caseload, in MY job, which is MY responsibility. About a PERSON who YOU don't see, who YOU don't have a working relationship with because YOU don't work with them.

And STOP USING 'THE ROYAL WE'! It doesn't give you any extra status, credit, or clout!

So there I was, NOT being aggressive, NOT reacting, NOT making you feel small and insignificant, and NOT bringing any hint of my personal feelings into the issue, when actually I'm really stressed out right now, but I still keep a grip on my behaviour, because whatever is going on, I still make doing my job properly my priority when I'm at work. It comes under the commonly accepted umbrella of basic decency, respect and professionalism.

Grrrrrrrr

jadeywadey

Post by jadeywadey » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:00 pm

eponymous85 wrote:
astra wrote:David Cameron/George Osborn - I think my client might actually kill herself over your policies, she used to have about £15 a week for food but this is now spent on bedroom tax and council tax, so she has no food. We cant do therapy because her most basic needs aren't being met AND IT'S NOT HER FAULT!
Had similar conversation with a colleague the other day. You can't therapy people out of a s*** society :(
Hi

I think this is an awful situation. I think it's interesting as CPs what we regard as being within our remit or not. I'm hoping that we as a profession can begin to engage in these issues more fully. Please see my letter in the Psychologist calling for psychologists to think about and speak out about these issues.

http://www.thepsychologist.org.uk/archi ... cleID=2247

There are some practical things that you might be able to do for your individual client. I have seen draft letters and ideas for challenging bedroom tax for example- such as the size of the room and whether it actually meets the European standards, saying that it would mean relocating and there not being the houses to move into and perhaps how this may affect getting to work, childcare, getting children to school etc. Maybe she could also be helped to write to the council or housing trust as some have actually redefined the number of bedrooms to help tenants.
It's awful that I would even need to suggest this in this country, but there are lots of local food banks if she does need to access this.

I'm hoping that we can begin to pool together some resources to help clients in these situations such as draft letters, information about the changes to the welfare system etc.

I hope things improve

astra

Post by astra » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:15 pm

Yeah there are charity safety nets, but people shouldn't be relying on that to feed themselves when they are entitled to benefits. This person has a housing support worker so it's beyond my remit to get involved in all that, the thing is I set out to do therapy with this person some time ago and it's just been derailed over and over again by the fact that more fundamental needs are not being met, but it seems unfair to stop trying to do the therapy when all other supports are being pulled away. Strictly speaking I should say now is not the right time for therapy and discharge, but that's not easy to do. So true what Emponymous's colleague said. GRRRR!
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn

Peach

Post by Peach » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:29 am

Dear Mum

I love you I really do but I can't bear to watch tv with you when I visit. Between the abominably cheesy true movies channel and the horrendous horror channel I can't tolerate it anymore!! I feel violated that you made me sit and watch the human centipede. There are just no words to describe how disturbing that was, my eyes cannot unsee what was seen, YUCK!!

And yes I can sit and watch a really old horror from the 70's because they are so badly acted and written that it borders on comedy. However I can't watch modern horror films because they are too realistic and not being able to watch someone being hacked to death does not make me a 'wuss'. So please stop insisting I watch these things with you, I will not enjoy it!!! :twisted:
The best thing about this signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything, it's too late for you to stop reading.

lakeland

Post by lakeland » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:53 am

Probably feeling the most uncomfortable I ever have after coming out of that session - can't quite pinpoint why.

greenamber83

Post by greenamber83 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:09 am

ThereIsAlwaysCake wrote:You don't give up your legal right to change supplier no, but they couch it in legal weasel wording in your contract:

"Not to change the supplier of these services, or the telephone number at the Property, without formal permission from the Landlord or the Landlord's Agent, such permission not to be unreasonably withheld or delayed."

The bolded bit, as I understand it, is basically saying they can't deny you permission for no good reason (i.e. because they want to make a profit). If other suppliers are cheaper I will be on this as soon as I move in. It won't prevent them getting their kickback for the new signup, but they won't get their percentage of my energy costs (no, really).
Hey - just wanted to say this is a standard legal phrase - we have it in our contract too - and it just means that they won't prevent you from changing, you just have to let them know. The only reason I know is that my partner's a commercial property solicitor. Unfortunately in our place we're tied into a particular provider because we have an archiac meter which would need rewiring to change. It costs a bomb because we have all electric heaters (not storage as we were told by our agents). Now that's what you call sneaky! Or perhaps just misinformed - I don't think agents have a clue half the time about the properties they push. I share your intense dislike for them!

CupcakeFairy

Post by CupcakeFairy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:11 am

Peach wrote:Dear Mum

I love you I really do but I can't bear to watch tv with you when I visit. Between the abominably cheesy true movies channel and the horrendous horror channel I can't tolerate it anymore!! I feel violated that you made me sit and watch the human centipede. There are just no words to describe how disturbing that was, my eyes cannot unsee what was seen, YUCK!!

And yes I can sit and watch a really old horror from the 70's because they are so badly acted and written that it borders on comedy. However I can't watch modern horror films because they are too realistic and not being able to watch someone being hacked to death does not make me a 'wuss'. So please stop insisting I watch these things with you, I will not enjoy it!!! :twisted:

Haha, Oh Peach Im so sorry, but your Mum sounds like a legend. She can visit mine for some crappy horror anytime!

Itachi

Post by Itachi » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:27 am

Stupid internet traffic. :evil:

Why oh why yahoo, do you give me an email sent on the 12th for an interview on the 15th... AT 3:45PM ON THE 16TH?!!?!?!

How do emails even become delayed by 4 days?!?! Even if I had received the damned thing on the 15th, I would have dropped everything to go! I was even on annual leave!!

Hard enough getting AP interviews these days, but to lose one because of the internet being ridiculous is downright unfair! :evil: grrrr.

greg

Post by greg » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:42 pm

I think hate is a strong word, especially for somebody I don't even particularly know, but this person just makes me soooooo angry. (sorry to link daily mail)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... -them.html

I kinda understand her writing for the Daily Mail, she fits in perfect withe Jan Moir's etc. but what annoys me is the BBC wheeling her out everytime they want an extreme right wing opinion. It's not as if it's an opinion which is representative of a significant proportion of society. I heard her on BBC Radio London the other day having a discussion with Camilla Batmanghelich where she (Katie not Camilla) was advocating that parents from poorer backgrounds should be steralised after a certain amount of children so as they weren't a 'burden on the state'.

Arghhhhhhhhhhhh that is all! :evil:

Campion

Post by Campion » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:54 pm

greg wrote:I heard her on BBC Radio London the other day having a discussion with Camilla Batmanghelich where she (Katie not Camilla) was advocating that parents from poorer backgrounds should be steralised after a certain amount of children so as they weren't a 'burden on the state'.

Arghhhhhhhhhhhh that is all! :evil:
If I were an incredibly suspicious person, I might postulate that the BBC may have wheeled her out so they can present 'both sides' of an argument and then claim to be acting without bias. By selecting a person most likely to offend even the right-wing of their demographic, they get to present only one option as being sound to both politically left and right.

Not that I'm an incredibly suspicious person of course, so I'd have to say... 'You're right, why on earth would the BBC wheel this person out?' :roll:

Campion.
'Think how many blameless lives are brightened by the blazing indiscretions of other people.' - Saki.