Asking about interview tasks and questions

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
miriam
Site Admin

Asking about interview tasks and questions

Post by miriam » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:55 am

Guidance for asking about interviews

Asking for (or sharing) questions asked by any particular clinical course interview is not permitted on http://www.clinpsy.org.uk. The sharing of questions by course makes it very hard for the courses to distinguish genuine wide-ranging knowledge and enthusiasm from learnt answers to their questions.

However, you are welcome to discuss every other aspect of the interview process. Discussion about how to respond to particular types of questions or tasks (eg questions requiring reflection, research questions, vignette-based clinical case discussion, role plays, group tasks) are permitted, as are questions about the orientiation of particular courses or the characteristics of their current trainee cohorts. However, again we would discourage sharing of actual interview questions (rather than broad topic areas) from the interview for a particular course with other applicants to that post (eg a current trainee or someone with an early interview telling questions to those applying to the same organisation). We would also prefer those anxious about interviews to ask questions about topic areas and forumulate their own answers, rather than ask "what should I say if they ask X?"

We would like to remind all posters in this section that your answers at interview should be based on your own knowledge, experience and views, and should not be rote responses learnt from others. As such, we would encourage posters to do their own research as much as possible (search this forum, or use google) before asking questions about interviews.

Please remember that we would all want interviews to be a fair process where the best candidate is selected, rather than a lucky candidate who has learnt all the answers from someone else. Therefore please think carefully about whether a question is reasonable to ask others to answer before posting it, or responding to it.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
miriam
Site Admin

Re: Asking about interview tasks and questions

Post by miriam » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:10 am

I feel the need to remind members that it is not permitted to ask other candidates, past or present, to disclose the questions or format of screening tests, tasks or interview items unless these are already in the public domain.

Asking other people how to prepare for screening tests or interviews will generally yield no new information (and will probably rub the regulars up the wrong way). Please do not make new threads to ask about screening tests, these will be consolidated with existing threads. The most sensible advice is already out there on the forum if you use the search function.

Beyond that simply get a good night's sleep, eat and drink enough to feel comfortable, and try to be calm enough to do your best. Use your time well: Remember that it is easier to get half the marks on all the questions than to get all the marks on half the questions. And keep the tests in perspective, they are offered to large numbers of candidates to reduce short-listing demands and make the selection process more objective. No more than that.
Miriam

BlueCat
Site Admin

Post by BlueCat » Sun May 12, 2013 9:02 pm

Just thought it was worth flagging this up again, and also to add that asking for advice regarding questions you know you will be asked (maybe the course has let you know about a particular question or task) would fall into the category above of "sharing interview questions".
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:04 am

Just another reminder of these rules.

One of the reasons I set up this website in the first place was to try to undermine the advantage conferred by people's personal connections, which I feel has a negative impact on the diversity of the profession. Interviews should select people based on their skills, knowledge and personal qualities, and not on how much insider information they have access to.

This policy also means that we have a positive relationship with the clinical courses, and representatives from some of the courses participate in the forum. This is mutually advantageous, and something we would like to continue to develop.
Miriam