Mental Health Support Worker interview

Discuss what to expect in job and course interviews, what topics might be covered, how to manage anxiety, and how to get the desired result!
SuzieQ199

Mental Health Support Worker interview

Post by SuzieQ199 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:15 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have a Maths and English test followed by (hopefully) an interview for a mental health support worker role. I have no idea what to expect as I have been lucky with jobs so far and have just been in the right place at the right time! Does anyone know the level of Maths and English I'll be expected to know? Or the kinds of questions they might ask?

Thank you :)

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
anna88

Re: Mental Health Support Worker interview

Post by anna88 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:50 pm

Hi Suzie,

I had a Maths and English test about 2 years ago for a support worker job. Presuming yours will be similiar then they were pretty basic. For example, I remember one question being a drawing of a ruler and there was an arrow pointed half way between 1cm and 2cm and you had to say what measurement it was pointing too. I think I had to work out the areas of things, or say the next number that came in a sequence.

My recall of the English test is pretty hazy. I think it was mostly multiple choice. There was a section where you had to circle the correct spelling of a word, and one where you circled the correct meaning of a word. Again, all pretty basic.

Anna

SuzieQ199

Post by SuzieQ199 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:31 pm

Hi Anna

I think that all sounds pretty straight forward which is good :) You have definitely helped me calm down a bit, thank you!

Suzie

anna88

Post by anna88 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:22 pm

Glad to have been of help!! I can remember feeling really nervous about mine too.

Good luck with it!!!! :D

x

mzvoker

Post by mzvoker » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:33 am

Hi, I've been working as a support worker for people with mental health problems and learning disabilities for just over a year now. From what I remember from my interview, both the written and maths tests were relatively easy. The maths test just involved working out simple calculations with money (using a calculator!) and then recording this onto a simple finance record sheet they provided. The written test asked you to plan a trip out into the community with a service user- ie what things you would need to consider, how you would involve them in planning the trip etc.

In terms of interview questions, I would think about following support plans, risk assessments. Also about how you would involve service users in decisions about their support and daily life. I was also asked a few questions on why I wanted to work in this specific area as well as team working.

Good Luck :-)

SuzieQ199

Post by SuzieQ199 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:22 pm

Hi Everyone

I know this post is a little late, but I just wanted to say thank you for your advise because I got the job!

So if anyone needs any help with support work applications/interviews let me know :)

Suzie x

jobrad1

Post by jobrad1 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:47 pm

Hi Suzie,

I know this thread is a couple of years old but just doing some trawling of the internet to look for some advice, hopefully you could help....

I have a interview for a SW with Mental Health Concern in a few weeks, it's a residential care home working with individuals with complex mental illness and potentially substance-abuse.

I have been in paid employment as a Dispenser in a Pharmacy for the past 5 years, alongside working in various voluntary support worker roles with a range of individuals (children, learning disability, sexual offenders).

I also have a BSc in Psychology and currently studying towards my MSc in Clinical Psychology.

I'm just wondering what kind of questions I should prepare myself for? In my current job I work 12 hours and the SW job is 20 hours and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience balancing a MSc and a SW job of around the same hours?

Any advice at all is appreciated!

Thanks guys :D