Job offers and timing!

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.
nomnom

Job offers and timing!

Post by nomnom » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:00 pm

Hello,

I'm in a bit of a pickle as of yesterday and would like suggestions as to what is the best course of action.

Basically, I was offered a job about 2 months ago and I am still waiting on a start date as my DBS has not come through yet. Once this stage is complete, I will be given a start date for an induction in said role.

I recently applied and interviewed for another role, which on reflection, I can see myself being in for a while. I was offered the role and the organisation has said they want me to start as soon as possible pending employment checks.

My dilemma is, do I take the job offered first once the DBS goes through and then once I have a start date for the second job, give my notice or do I have to choose by role over the other?

Another issue is that by the time all the checks go through for the second role, chances are I'll only have been employed in the first job for 4-ish months. Will this quick move reflect badly on me?

Thank you in advance for your input :)

Nomnom
'Forget what hurt you. But remember what it taught you'

miriam
Site Admin

Re: Job offers and timing!

Post by miriam » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:36 pm

What makes you think the second role will take more than 4 months to get you in post? I've interviewed people here and had them start within a fortnight now that DBS checks can be done online and come back in 3-5 days, so it very much depends on the organisation. I can't see any reason the start date for the second one is going to be far behind the other, so I'd take the one you want the most and keep life simple.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

nomnom

Re: Job offers and timing!

Post by nomnom » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:05 pm

miriam wrote:What makes you think the second role will take more than 4 months to get you in post? I've interviewed people here and had them start within a fortnight now that DBS checks can be done online and come back in 3-5 days, so it very much depends on the organisation. I can't see any reason the start date for the second one is going to be far behind the other, so I'd take the one you want the most and keep life simple.
I was going by how long past posts I have accepted have taken from interview stage to starting but I am aware this will vary across organisations.

I'd be delighted if the start date for the second role came through before the DBS for the first post as it means I won't have to relocate or leave one role too quickly. More waiting for now I think.

Thank you for replying - I'm all for keeping life simple :)
'Forget what hurt you. But remember what it taught you'