How to reference mental health act and mental capacity act?

Ask here about academic and research issues, like designing studies, recruiting participants, choosing statistics, submitting for publication, etc.
Techn

How to reference mental health act and mental capacity act?

Post by Techn » Thu May 08, 2014 10:33 am

Trying to figure out how to reference the mental health act (1983) and the mental capacity act (2005) at the end of some uni work. They are written exactly like this in the text which is fine, but does anyone know how to add them to the reference list using the harvard style.

A harvard reference guide I have says to reference legislation like so,
Title of Act Year (SI number if needed) Place of publication: Publisher

Could the publisher be the The Stationery Office and place of publication being london? Can't find an SI number though.
Perhaps it would simply be, Mental Capacity Act 2005, London: HMSO.

Any thoughts? :)

Loula

Re: How to reference mental health act and mental capacity a

Post by Loula » Thu May 08, 2014 10:45 am

I go with pretty much what you've said (just checked my thesis!), so mine looks like:

Department of Health (2005). Mental Capacity Act. London, HMSO.

Also, you might want to check your MHA- do you mean it to be 1983? It was updated in 2008.

Techn

Post by Techn » Thu May 08, 2014 10:51 am

Loula wrote:I go with pretty much what you've said (just checked my thesis!), so mine looks like:

Department of Health (2005). Mental Capacity Act. London, HMSO.

Also, you might want to check your MHA- do you mean it to be 1983? It was updated in 2008.
Thats interesting, is that Harvard or APA?

Yeah i've seen the MHA listed elsewhere as 1983 (as amended by MHA 2007) etc, but perhaps you can just use the most recent date and ignore the original?

Loula

Post by Loula » Thu May 08, 2014 11:25 am

Techn wrote:
Loula wrote:Thats interesting, is that Harvard or APA?

Yeah i've seen the MHA listed elsewhere as 1983 (as amended by MHA 2007) etc, but perhaps you can just use the most recent date and ignore the original?
It's whatever Endnote spat it out in (which I don't think is either when it's still on Endnote). I put it into word and changed the style and got:

APA 6th: Department of Health. (2005). Mental Capacity Act. London: HMSO.

Harvard comes out the same without italicising.

Not sure about the MHA. I think my preference would be MHA (2007), but I would just go with what is most often done elsewhere. I think it's acknowledged that referencing isn't always black and white, but as long as you are clear and consistent you're probably ok.

Techn

Post by Techn » Thu May 08, 2014 12:04 pm

Loula wrote:
Techn wrote:
Loula wrote:Thats interesting, is that Harvard or APA?

It's whatever Endnote spat it out in (which I don't think is either when it's still on Endnote). I put it into word and changed the style and got:

APA 6th: Department of Health. (2005). Mental Capacity Act. London: HMSO.

Harvard comes out the same without italicising.

Not sure about the MHA. I think my preference would be MHA (2007), but I would just go with what is most often done elsewhere. I think it's acknowledged that referencing isn't always black and white, but as long as you are clear and consistent you're probably ok.
Thanks for your help :)

I'll base it around that format.

srlb2

Post by srlb2 » Thu May 08, 2014 2:08 pm

I've read somewhere that in APA you don't need to reference acts, i'm not sure how reputable the source was (it could have been the APA manual but equally could have been a website if it wasn't in the manual!) And of course that might not apply to the harvard style!