Supervision

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
Hayology

Supervision

Post by Hayology » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:26 am

Hi All,

I'm currently moving jobs. In my new role, the CP who I could have had supervision from has retired. In the mean time, I have been offered some supervision from a Psychological Therapist (I work in cancer services). I also get clinical supervision in a bank assistant post I have where I work 3 hours a week (used to work there full time, but have recently left). Would it be worth taking up the supervision from the PT in my current role or best to wait till I can access supervision from a CP? I'm asking in this part because I want to know what will reflect best in my application. I'm worried that taking supervision from a PT may have some negative affect on my application?

Thanks,

H

Loula

Re: Supervision

Post by Loula » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:45 am

I'm not really sure what the question is. Do you have any supervision currently? If you don't, I don't think you have much choice but to accept the offer of supervision from a psychological therapist. Without appropriate supervision you would be working outside of your role. Taking no supervision would definitely been seen more negatively than taking it from a PT! Obviously if/ when a CP starts supervision from them would be preferred, but it sounds like that isn't currently being offered?

There are lots of people who are successful applying for courses without CP supervision- the largest group probably being PWPs where it often isn't provided. The fact that your supervisor is a psychological therapist is probably better than if they were a non-psychology-professional such as a nurse or a medic (I once had a consultant psychiatrist as a supervisor- it was very different!).

Hayology

Post by Hayology » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:30 pm

Hi Loula,

Thanks for your reply.

I've had CP supervision in my previous AP post and although I'm leaving I will be working 1 hour a week with them and doing additional honorary work - which I will have supervision from a CP.
My current role isn't an AP role but they were going to set up CP supervision, but the CP has retired so they have offered me supervision with a PT till I can find a CP who has time! I'm worried that if I choose the PT supervision they may think that I think PT and CP roles are the same or they may not view it as any benefit of all. So just wondered if a PT would be able to supervise me appropriately in terms of clinical psychology? Sorry should have made that clear!

H

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:29 am

I don't know what you expect here. If it isn't an AP role they are not obligated to provide a CP to supervise it, but you need some supervision for your own safety. Supervision for a different role doesn't cover it, and it would be an unreasonable expectation to hold the supervisor of an unrelated voluntary post (for which you are only contributing minimal hours) accountable for your main job. So make sure that their promise is recorded and they know this is a temporary solution - but as explained above, you have to take the supervision.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

jamesivens

Post by jamesivens » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:00 pm

Aside from the points already made, on a more general note about supervision, ideally you want someone who is consistent, reliable and will help you develop in areas you want/need in the context of your role. For the purpose of applying for training, it's not necessarily about having a CP as a supervisor (it may help, but lots of people have and will do training coming from different positions). I think the main factors when choosing a referee would be whether the person is confident in your abilities and competencies about working in fields which trainee clinical psychologists work in, which is often shared by psychological therapists, counselling psychologists etc. So I would recommend focusing more on the individual providing supervision as opposed to job title. It may be worth thinking about how your current option could help your goals, and potentially what the impact will be waiting indefinitely for the alternative.