Podcast, application review & personal development services

The guidance for posting on www.ClinPsy.org.uk and any comments on the forum, suggestions for improvements, etc. Also information about our e-magazine, Aspire, and how to contribute or download your copy.
miriam
Site Admin

Podcast, application review & personal development services

Post by miriam » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:53 am

I've been wondered about offering to do a podcast with a Patreon subscription model, with various levels of career coaching included in the higher tiers of service, and it seems like various members of the moderating team here are willing to join me to make it viable. So, I am wanting some feedback about the market demand, content, structure and pricing.

For those who are not familiar with it, Patreon is a crowd source funding model (a bit like Kickstarter) but it works on a subscription basis. So you agree to pay a set amount per month to support a particular content creator or to subscribe to a particular service such as a blog, vlog, podcast, web-comic or the creation of a series of art-works or materials. This means that the content creator can focus on creating the content for the subscribers, without having to seek external finance (eg to gain enough of a mass audience to earn income through advertising, or to have sponsorship or employment which might introduce limitations or bias into the content).

I'm hoping that we could make it work for all career stages, by ensuring the small groups are of people at a similar stage, and that individual sessions are pitched appropriately to your career development needs whatever stage of the career ladder you are on - even qualified CPs. Please note, I am not offering to supervise anyone's clinical work at any tier of this service.

I was wondering what people think of the idea, and whether they'd be interested in signing up if I went ahead with this?
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Ruthie

Re: Podcast, application review & personal development servi

Post by Ruthie » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:30 pm

Having talked to Miriam about this I'm offering to get the ball rolling. I thought now might be a good time in the run up to the DClin applications deadline. I'm happy to offer a closed group via skype for a set number of sessions - weekly or monthly, depending on what people would prefer.

The idea of the group would be to set some goals for personal development and then work together as a group to help each other move towards them. Goals could be things like being more reflective about work related issues, managing work-life balance, being more assertive, managing relationships with colleagues, developing confidence or anything else you feel would be helpful. We would be able to formulate what people are experiencing and think of ways forward together which will help people with their goal and to develop reflective skills, the ability to develop a psychological formulation and use that to inform the next step. Hopefully that will both help people move towards their goals and develop skills in self-reflection, psychological thinking and formulation.

In terms of my approach, I mainly use a CBT based approach and particularly like James Bennett-Levy's approach to developing self-reflection (do have a google if you want to see more of how I work). I also like to think this kind of approach can be fun and enjoyable and always have a sense of humour about my work.

Are you interested? Leave a note here or PM me to express an interest and let me know whether you'd prefer weekly, monthly and for how long you would be willing to commit and Miriam will set it up on Patreon.

Ruthie
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken Him completely by surprise.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:15 pm

I'm wondering why this is getting no responses at all, despite large numbers of page-views.

Is 60p for a podcast too much? We pay that for a daily newspaper and 5 times that for a weekly magazine or a good cup of coffee, so is it too high a threshold to show support of the site through patronage? Are the higher tiers not services people want? Are they too expensive? Too much of a commitment? Or is it that Patreon is an unknown system?
Miriam

lakeland

Post by lakeland » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:40 pm

As someone who is qualified, I think the rewards in the higher tiers don't necessarily match up with what I'd need at this stage in my career - thinking particularly about the review of application forms and essays. I think the costs are fairly high (again of the higher tiers in particular).

I'm sure something like this could work but maybe the rewards would need to be tailored more specifically to the status of the subscriber.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:56 pm

Yeah, we talked about whether it was worth having a qualified tier of monthly personal/professional development slots without the lower tier stuff, but we didn't know if there would be demand. It would work out at about £25 per session to join a group or £50 for an individual one and could be 2, 3 or 4 weekly.
Miriam

AnsweringBell

Post by AnsweringBell » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:06 pm

That's a really interesting idea Miriam... from my point of view, as a financially independent assistant who struggles to make ends meet most months, I'm not sure the benefits for me would outweigh the costs. I think, prior to getting on the course, the tier that would have been most beneficial/appealing for me would be £21 a week (mostly for the multiple application form reviews) and that just wouldn't have been affordable sadly.

I think if I could have afforded it, I'd have been interested in knowing about the content of the podcasts and group discussions in advance of signing up (maybe having a programme for the year?), and what area of work the experts were coming from really. I think having people involved from different areas of work within the NHS could make the Q&A's in particular quite appealing, as I know how it can feel really difficult to get an accurate understanding of how services work if you're not directly involved yourself.

I think the tiers up to £3 a month have a lot of benefits without a lot of cost and could be really appealing to assistants/support workers, but above that I'm not so sure with costs/benefits (that's coloured by my own situation of course - maybe other assistants/support workers are in better positions).

Randomswirls
Team Member

Post by Randomswirls » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:31 pm

I don't know what I'm thinking about this as it's a per month subscription it seems fairly pricey and whilst it's something I would consider I'm not sure I could afford it nor do I know if some of it would interest me.

I think the one I'd be interested in would be between the £8.50 and £30 one and that would be a big expense and as a support worker working part time I don't think I could necessarily afford it.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:37 pm

Maybe what we should do is launch the podcast, Q&A and hangouts. Then we can allow people to pay one-off fees if they wish to purchase any additional sessions. After all, a subscription of a few quid a month is much more affordable in the long-term.

Part of the problem, I suspect, is that people are used to having advice on here for free, and reviews of application forms for a donation to charity. That is never going to be a sustainable model to expand or even continue (the average donation is about £10, which is one fifth of what I'd expect to earn in the time it typically takes me to do them).

So the choices are to do 5 minute initial impressions of forms (which I suspect is what most people do for people they are not directly supervising), to give up on Aspire and the journal clubs and livechats we have previously offered and just stick to doing the forum, or to hope that enough people buy into the additional aspects we want to provide to make them viable.
Miriam

fishy2012

Post by fishy2012 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:58 pm

I would be very interested in a podcast as there are hardly any around. I would probably only go for the cheapest one though.

Thanks

Emmie

Post by Emmie » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:07 pm

If this project goes ahead, I would definitely sign up for the £3 tier. I agree that it might make more sense if the other options (professional/personal development sessions, application/essay reviews, etc) are available for purchase separately, for one-off fees, as unfortunately I don't think that most of the other assistant psychologists/support workers I know would be able to afford the higher monthly fees in the long-term.

Mikel Arteta

Post by Mikel Arteta » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:48 pm

Some of the fees people mention seem really high. I also think there is an issue of it being marketed on here. A lot of the members on here are desperate to get on the course and will do anything and everything (in reality the less is more approach tends to be more effective when it comes to applying and gaining interviews/a place), so may be persuaded into doing so. Given that these people don't earn very much, that's where it becomes a little uncomfortable for me. Like many others on the site, I regularly help people out with viewing forms, giving detailed feedback, give interview advice, and helped/mentored many students and assistant's for nothing (many of whom gained a place on the doctorate), never charging a penny. I think given people can get this for free (from colleagues, friends, internet, and people on here); I don't necessarily think there is a need for it. It may create an illusion that it could help when they may not need it, but are too starry eyed to see that. Just my opinion.
Blackbird singing in the dead of night, take these broken wings and learn to fly, all your life
you were only waiting for this moment to arise
:)

GemmaL

Post by GemmaL » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:22 pm

As a student who is hoping to apply for the doctorate, I think these sound like a good idea. However, I think it would be very difficult for a lot of people to pay that much. To be honest, I am not really sure what they would entail, so I think it would be a very good idea to perhaps provide a free sample/introductory one, so people can see what they are like and if they would be of benefit for them. Also, I think instead of requiring long -term commitment, you may get more interest if people can just pay for individual services and they chose how long they wish to continue for. However, as has been said, within the community/field, there is a lot of free support. I have been lucky enough to get some really great advice and hope to be able to return the favour and help others in the future. This may also be why having a fee may reduce interest. I hope this has helped, I am interested in the services and feel like they could be beneficial for a lot of people.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:40 pm

I'm puzzled why people are posting on an old thread that has been superseded without actually checking out what it is we are doing?
Miriam

sarahg

Post by sarahg » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:23 am

Sorry, what thread has superseded this thread? I cannot find it.

ell

Post by ell » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:38 am

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17810

This thread includes the link to the actual Patreon website (as well as further discussion of it).