Assistant Psychologist Interview at Memory Clinic

Discuss what to expect in job and course interviews, what topics might be covered, how to manage anxiety, and how to get the desired result!
Jodie

Assistant Psychologist Interview at Memory Clinic

Post by Jodie » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:16 pm

Hi,
I am really excited to finally get an interview for Assistant Clinical Psychologist at a Memory Clinic but I am wondering what sort of things they might ask? Does anyone have any good tips for nerves also? I have no assistant psychologist experience but I have experience as HCA on a mental health ward and various volunteering positions: brain injury charity, CBT-based eTherapy and Honorary Researcher (psychosis). I have thought about assessments, barriers to assessment etc. Any tips would be gratefully received, I am very nervous!

AmyO

Re: Assistant Psychologist Interview at Memory Clinic

Post by AmyO » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:13 pm

Hello,

I think you are thinking along the right lines with the assessments / barriers to assessments. Think about what assessments would involved e.g. what information would you need to gather, what neuro assessments you could use.
It would also be important to think about different reasons for memory problems, Dementia being an obvious cause (look on the Alzheimer's society website for useful information), but also other causes of memory difficulties e.g low mood, infections, other medical conditions.
I am not sure if your role is adults of working age or older adults - but if older adults think about some of the barriers to accessing services / difficulties in assessments e.g. physical health complaints, poor hearing / vision, forgetting appointments, mental health stigma in older generations. Adults of working age presents other difficulties - clients are still working / still driving / younger family. Also think about capacity / best interests.
For any AP interview it is always a good idea to think of some example from your own experience which you can reflect on and relate to this role e.g. a time when you have dealt with a difficult situation, a time when you have done an assessment - difficulties you faced.

Good luck :)

Jodie

Post by Jodie » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:23 pm

Thank you for your helpful reply - I think I've been going on the right lines then hopefully! Now to try and reflect on relevant things I've done in time for tomorrow :D

Michael54321

Post by Michael54321 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:04 pm

I think I attended the same interview today. Didn't get in unfortunately! I was very appreciative getting a phone call so soon after the interview, even if it was a no! They gave great feedback!

Hope you did well!