Screening tests

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
picklepepper

Screening tests

Post by picklepepper » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:29 pm

Hi and happy new year ! I'm applying for the clinical training for the first time and have applied for courses which have a screening tests (Lancaster, Trent, Leicester, Birmingham) and I wondered what was known about these tests and how I can prepare for them? I know Lancaster is verbal and numerical reasoning and have seen the practice tests - but can't find anything about any of the others? I've looked on the Clearing House website and individual uni website but not a sausage, does anyone else have any experience of these or know broadly what they involve (stats? research design? scenario-based?)
Thanks a million!

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
nhycheung

Re: Screening tests

Post by nhycheung » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:00 pm

Hi picklepepper,

Just to let you know, the Birmingham website now has past questions from 2016 and 2015 up on their website under the entry requirements tab of the course page.

Hope that helps, good luck!

RJParker

Post by RJParker » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:18 pm

Leicester are doing the situational judgement test and the SHL tests that Lancaster, Plymouth and Cardiff use.

RhubarbCrumble

Post by RhubarbCrumble » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:50 pm

I didn't realize Leicester were SHL and Situational Judgement. Is this different from recent years? I thought it was research based?

emma2017

Post by emma2017 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:41 am

Thanks for info on Leicester. I wasn't sure what their test would be. I know they have a 24 hour window on the 23rd Feb. I see from previous threads that candidates do just one set of tests and results are sent to multiple centres? So for Lancaster who I have also applied to does this means I will sit the numerical and verbal reasoning on the 23rd and not need to repeat for Lancaster in their window the following 2 weeks. Got all the dates in my diary set so I can juggle work and childcare and fingers crossed give my best performance!
I am currently practicing verbal reasoning and numerical tests. I am finding I can do the maths ok but some questions take a long time, especially finding out which of the 5 options is the best - I do all 5 calculations get them right so I know I can use the data in the right way (point of the test) but then this takes way longer than the time limit per question allows. What does everyone think - be accurate answer less or strict with time limits? I asked my partner who uses a lot of maths in his job and some of the questions he said could not be done in less than 5 mins without a guess.
Thanks for the thread - I was going to post something similar. Best of luck everyone for the screening tests coming up. Whilst we are kind of competing against each other I still feel like cheering everyone on as no doubt everyone wants that place as much as I do! :)

RJParker

Post by RJParker » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:59 am

The SHL practise tests are not indicators of the difficulty level of the tests. These tests are dynamic and alter the difficulty level of the question based on the performance of the individual. The practise test just gives you some example questions so you can see the type of question and interface you will be using. They are the same questions every time.