'considered for interview shortlisting 2018'

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
SamXO
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:52 pm

Re: 'considered for interview shortlisting 2018'

Post by SamXO » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:27 pm

I wasn't going to say anything but I agree with the above poster about mavens comments. I think its a little too late to be cautioned about 'vesting too much in the process' as getting onto the DClinPsy is pretty much what I think of all day every day. I made it clear in my original post that I was aware this is only the first step, I am completely aware that I haven't been offered a place already. However, for someone who doesn't have much hope or self- esteem/ confidence in themselves, it was a big deal knowing i've gotten even THIS far.
Peace out,
Sam

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
User avatar
miriam
Site Admin
Posts: 7395
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:20 pm
Location: Bucks
Contact:

Re: 'considered for interview shortlisting 2018'

Post by miriam » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:56 pm

SamXO wrote:I think its a little too late to be cautioned about 'vesting too much in the process' as getting onto the DClinPsy is pretty much what I think of all day every day.
I really think you need to reflect on that and seek some support to sort out other aspects of your life so that CP is a smaller part of your identity. CP is a job, perhaps a vocation for some, but it is not a replacement for a life outside of work or a sense of being good enough as a person. To be healthy and happy you need to preserve time for hobbies, a social life, family, exercise, getting out into nature and time to relax. Rather than resting your identity on becoming a psychologist you need to think of yourself as being lots of other things (in my case as well as being a psychologist I am a wife, a mother, a gardener, a scuba diver, a weightlifter, a feminist, a blogger, and someone who loves to read, do arts and crafts, cook, sing, and binge-watch TV series). Your wellbeing should not be defined by your professional progression. Your hope, self-esteem and self-confidence shouldn't be dependent on your career aspirations, and getting this invested in your application despite your professed belief you will not be successful seems like a recipe for disappointment. Plus IMHO every person facing such a competitive career path should have a plan b (and probably a plan c as well).
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

User avatar
BlueCat
Site Admin
Posts: 2839
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:42 pm

Re: 'considered for interview shortlisting 2018'

Post by BlueCat » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:21 pm

Oh! We go here every year, don't we.

I'm not sure how helpful it is for courses to frame it at this stage as "having been selected", since that, understandably, kindles hope when, as the OP says, almost every application makes it past the initial minimum criteria screening (unless the applicant has totally misunderstood the minimum criteria for the course in question). For courses that don't use shortlisting assessments, the equivalent stage of selection is "hasn't been screened out by admin staff for not having minimum academic profile and clinical experience".

I guess its nice to have it reinforced that you, as an applicant, hadn't imagined getting that 2:1/1st or working in that role for six months; but I'm guessing applicants already kind of know this :)

Its an exciting and stressful time of year - good luck to all x
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

User avatar
Spatch
Posts: 1315
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:18 pm
Location: The other side of paradise
Contact:

Re: 'considered for interview shortlisting 2018'

Post by Spatch » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:31 am

I made it clear in my original post that I was aware this is only the first step, I am completely aware that I haven't been offered a place already. However, for someone who doesn't have much hope or self- esteem/ confidence in themselves, it was a big deal knowing i've gotten even THIS far.
This is something that is easily overlooked and I think there are two things being discussed and (possibly) conflated.

The first is the way that the process post graduation gives people so little feedback and structure that any positive information coming out of it can be a considerable boost. For some, even small pieces of feedback such as an "application processed" email from the clearing house, or notification of a screening test can be the first official acknowledgement an applicant recieves by the system. In such a competitive, opaque process just knowing that you've already beaten 40 applicants can be incredibly validating and reassuring and I can see the excitement created by that.

I think the second thing is about the wider perspective you gain when you are further along the career path, and the desire to temper people's expectations as well as awareness of how this story can play out. I think that goes double if you have been involved in selection, training and supervision (like most of us qualifieds here have been). However, I also think that there is something about how many of us in the profession can become blase or blind to small wins, and I am guilty of this myself. Reflecting on my last few positive events (job interview, securing funding, service being considered for an award) my reaction was "Meh", but even just one of these would have been a huge deal when I was starting out.
Shameless plug alert:

Irrelevant Experience: The Secret Diary of an Assistant Psychologist is available at Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irrelevant-Expe ... 00EQFE5JW/

AnsweringBell
Posts: 446
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:01 am

Re: 'considered for interview shortlisting 2018'

Post by AnsweringBell » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:50 pm

I haven't posted in a while, and have mainly just come to check in on how people are getting on from a distance every once in a while... but felt compelled to respond. Maybe it's because I'm still not quite finished with training, but I really felt for you with the responses that you got to this from non-applicants. I remember clearly how the whole process felt from finishing undergrad through to beginning the doctorate and just how filled with rejection that was. I felt confident as a person, and valid and worthwhile and good at other things in my life... but the path was so marked with constant knocks that, as an applicant, I lacked confidence and self-esteem too at times. SamXO, I think it's completely and totally fine to feel excited to be 1 step further on than you were, regardless of whether or not that means you get an interview later. It didn't sound to me that you were being unrealistic or that you needed a reality check with this - I think the whole journey of becoming a CP gives you enough clear reality checks from start to finish (I'm a jaded, delayed 3rd year trainee - I'm including all the reality checks and knocks you get in training too), you don't need people to take away your wins. Even if others don't view them as wins, as Spatch said, they're still meaningful and important acknowledgements that you're doing okay. I remember getting through to getting the questions from Edinburgh too the first time around, and feeling a big 'whoosh' of relief and a bit of pride too, knowing that I was still in the race and the odds had gotten a bit better for me too. Congratulations on your progress there!

Also, I wanted to validate you saying that this was on your mind all day every day; I don't know of many applicants who don't become somewhat obsessed with this. From when you start preparing the form, through to when you start hearing back about interviews (then interviews and waiting to hear back from those etc), it's an incredibly intense time and carries a lot of weight from the years of ups and downs you've had already in getting this far. I think it's easy to forget that with each passing year after you've stopped applying - personally I haven't applied since 2013, and the acute stress of it feels like quite a distant memory already, but I've got some friends still going through it and they help me remember how brutal it is. Anyway, for me, being quite tunnel visioned with the application process didn't mean that I didn't have other stuff going on or other things that made up who I was; but was a reflection of how important being a CP was to me and how I had a lot of time, energy and money invested into this career path. It mattered to me immensely that I could feel that I was moving forward in it, and I think that's a common thread to most people's applications. I hope you've got space to relax and take your mind off of it sometimes, and that you've got other things you enjoy putting energy into that counterbalance the stress of the process and that remind you that no career can make up the entirety of who you are.

Anyway, good luck with the rest of the application cycle and congrats again!

SamXO
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:52 pm

Re: 'considered for interview shortlisting 2018'

Post by SamXO » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:48 am

AnsweringBell wrote:I haven't posted in a while, and have mainly just come to check in on how people are getting on from a distance every once in a while... but felt compelled to respond. Maybe it's because I'm still not quite finished with training, but I really felt for you with the responses that you got to this from non-applicants. I remember clearly how the whole process felt from finishing undergrad through to beginning the doctorate and just how filled with rejection that was. I felt confident as a person, and valid and worthwhile and good at other things in my life... but the path was so marked with constant knocks that, as an applicant, I lacked confidence and self-esteem too at times. SamXO, I think it's completely and totally fine to feel excited to be 1 step further on than you were, regardless of whether or not that means you get an interview later. It didn't sound to me that you were being unrealistic or that you needed a reality check with this - I think the whole journey of becoming a CP gives you enough clear reality checks from start to finish (I'm a jaded, delayed 3rd year trainee - I'm including all the reality checks and knocks you get in training too), you don't need people to take away your wins. Even if others don't view them as wins, as Spatch said, they're still meaningful and important acknowledgements that you're doing okay. I remember getting through to getting the questions from Edinburgh too the first time around, and feeling a big 'whoosh' of relief and a bit of pride too, knowing that I was still in the race and the odds had gotten a bit better for me too. Congratulations on your progress there!

Also, I wanted to validate you saying that this was on your mind all day every day; I don't know of many applicants who don't become somewhat obsessed with this. From when you start preparing the form, through to when you start hearing back about interviews (then interviews and waiting to hear back from those etc), it's an incredibly intense time and carries a lot of weight from the years of ups and downs you've had already in getting this far. I think it's easy to forget that with each passing year after you've stopped applying - personally I haven't applied since 2013, and the acute stress of it feels like quite a distant memory already, but I've got some friends still going through it and they help me remember how brutal it is. Anyway, for me, being quite tunnel visioned with the application process didn't mean that I didn't have other stuff going on or other things that made up who I was; but was a reflection of how important being a CP was to me and how I had a lot of time, energy and money invested into this career path. It mattered to me immensely that I could feel that I was moving forward in it, and I think that's a common thread to most people's applications. I hope you've got space to relax and take your mind off of it sometimes, and that you've got other things you enjoy putting energy into that counterbalance the stress of the process and that remind you that no career can make up the entirety of who you are.

Anyway, good luck with the rest of the application cycle and congrats again!

Thank you thank you thank you! You’ve understood me perfectly and responded in a way that’s reassured me and my approach to becoming CP! Thank you for being someone who is currently a trainee and still empathises with us who aren’t and acknowledges the struggle! I hope everything works out well for you, I know you’ll made an amazing CP!

lakeland
Posts: 846
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:18 pm

Re: 'considered for interview shortlisting 2018'

Post by lakeland » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:46 am

Showing my age here, but I was thrilled when I got my ‘application received’ postcard through the door - it meant I’d done something right!

User avatar
ell
Moderator
Posts: 2275
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:45 pm

Re: 'considered for interview shortlisting 2018'

Post by ell » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:06 am

lakeland wrote:Showing my age here, but I was thrilled when I got my ‘application received’ postcard through the door - it meant I’d done something right!
Yes! Both those postcards! I'd forgotten about that. Oh the anxiety that the application had not turned up on the clearing house doorstep, that this would be one of those times Royal Mail failed me. So perhaps it's a bit hypocritical of me to suggest people try not to get too excited by these early steps. It's a process that holds so much hope and anticipation. Tricky things that can backfire on you, but at the same time you can't help but feel.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests