Health Psychology - do i really have to do 2 Masters?!

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
raglangirl

Health Psychology - do i really have to do 2 Masters?!

Post by raglangirl » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:49 pm

Hi everyone,

I would like to pursue a career in Health Psychology but my undergraduate is in Physiotherapy. I have been told by the BPS and several universities that in order to become a Health Psychologist i would need to do an MSc Psychology Conversion then an MSc Health Psychology and then a Doctorate in Health Psychology with relevant experience. Its a long road and a very expensive one that i cannot afford and i cant imagine many others could either. For clinical Psychology its a conversion and then (with relevant experience) you can apply for the doctorate.

I am not sure what to do or what my alternatives might be?

Thank you so much :) any advice would be much appreciated x

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
lilachannah

Re: Health Psychology - do i really have to do 2 Masters?!

Post by lilachannah » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:07 pm

I'm from a forensic background, but I believe the route to registration as a health psych is pretty similar, although I could be wrong! :)
I'd imagine you'd need to complete the undergrad conversion, them an MSc in Health Psych and following that a minimum of two years of supervised practice as a trainee health psychologist, fulfilling competencies outlined by the BPS. I'm not sure of how it would work with the health psych doctorate though.

raglangirl

Re: Health Psychology - do i really have to do 2 Masters?!

Post by raglangirl » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:10 pm

Thanks lilachannah you're right it sounds the same, if you dont have the undergrad you have to do the MSc Psych conversion first. Thanks so much :)