Health psychology doctorate jobs?

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.
jwardmagic

Health psychology doctorate jobs?

Post by jwardmagic » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:21 am

I am just finishing a health psychology MSc, and have been given a conditional offer to continue onto their doctoral programme. However, the condition is that I find a suitable job. I had a job originally which was 'almost' suitable, but they needed me to find a job in which I would have a supervisor who would understand the clinical type of supervision I would need. The job I had originally was simply a health care agency type job. I feel the kinds of jobs that may be more suitable are things like 'health intervention planners, assistant psychologist posts, non-statutory drug and alcohol workers' etc. However, all of these jobs are extremely competitive. I have applied to 43, and got turned down for all of them. My CV has 6 years of experience working as a support worker, brain injury rehab worker, nutritionist and an assistant psychologist. As well as this, my current MSc dissertation is in the process of getting published, and I have won various internship awards for my academic work in the past.

I feel very disheartened regarding my job search as I've been turned down for so many jobs - and I may have to defer for a year, simply due to not being able to find a suitable job. I thought it would be easy as; I have a car (and willing to travel a good hour or so a day if the job is suitable), I have worked as an assistant psychologist, and I have good academic skills, and qualifications.

For anyone who is doing a health psychology doctorates, I'd be very grateful for any tips regarding jobs during the doctorate. How long did it take you to find a suitable job? Is there anything in particular job wise I should keep my eye out for? I will keep applying to the assistant psychologist jobs, but I can't get my hopes up any time soon regarding getting one of those posts due to the level of competitiveness. I just need to find a job before November, and I can start the course in 2018.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Northernlad

Re: Health psychology doctorate jobs?

Post by Northernlad » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:41 am

Could you not do agency support work (or anything else that will provide you with an income) alongside a p/t voluntary role in a relevant organisation which would provide you with the supervision you need? I don't think it's uncommon for people to volunteer to meet some of their competencies on the health psychology doctorate, and the experience in roles more relevant to health psychology could then provide you with a platform into paid work.

jwardmagic

Post by jwardmagic » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:29 am

Thanks for the response. Yes you are allowed to do voluntary work alongside another job. However, I can't find any suitable voluntary roles (again with someone there that will be able to supervise me). There seems to be very few voluntary roles available in which you can design an intervention, carry out an intervention etc - which in turn is supervised by a doctor, researcher, psychologist etc (anyone that understands the level of clinical supervision required). There may be a whole area of voluntary work I have missed - but so far all of the voluntary jobs I've found are things like 'befriending', 'admin in mental health charities' etc, not hands on clinical work.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:47 am

Where are you geographically? I might be able to think of people you could contact.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

jwardmagic

Post by jwardmagic » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:07 am

Miriam, that would be tremendously helpful and encouraging, thank you. I'm in Bristol, and can travel within reason (happy to travel 50 miles(ish) a day, so a 50 mile radius of Bristol area would be where I'm searching, if you know anywhere/anyone I can contact, I'd be very grateful if you'd pass it on?

BlueCat
Site Admin

Post by BlueCat » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:48 pm

Have you contacted all the NHS Trusts/Health boards within that radius to ask if they are able to offer you a placement? There's well developed, busy clinical health psychology departments in Gloucester, Bristol and Bath.
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

Spatch

Post by Spatch » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:09 am

Does it have to be a health psychologist supervising you?

If a clinical psychologist/research psychologist could supervise you design, implement and evaluate an intervention in a health care setting I may be able to help. Drop me a Pm.
Shameless plug alert:

Irrelevant Experience: The Secret Diary of an Assistant Psychologist is available at Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irrelevant-Expe ... 00EQFE5JW/