How easy is it to get an HCPC registration for a clinical psychology masters from India?

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.
samindara

How easy is it to get an HCPC registration for a clinical psychology masters from India?

Post by samindara » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:58 am

Hello,

I have completed my Masters in Clinical Psychology from the University of Mumbai, India and have been active in the field for the past 20 years. I will be moving to the UK in June next year and hope to continue my work from there. I am about to start the process of application to HCPC, and any tips or guidelines will be tremendously appreciated. I am worried that not having a doctorate may create an issue for me; however, I do have extensive experience across the Lifespan.

Look forward to some helpful suggestions from this forum.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
svr

Re: How easy is it to get an HCPC registration for a clinical psychology masters from India?

Post by svr » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:52 pm

Hi,

To be honest, I think you will struggle with HCPC registration without an accredited doctorate. It might be worth trying to contact them directly to check?

maven
Site Admin

Re: How easy is it to get an HCPC registration for a clinical psychology masters from India?

Post by maven » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:30 pm

I've interviewed Indian CPs applying for posts here (as both APs and CPs), and the training really doesn't cover the same things, and the role is quite different in practice too. During our training we do a doctoral level piece of research, and six 6-month placements that give a really wide range of competencies and awareness of how services work in the NHS/UK, as well as academic teaching/essays/exams. I'd worry a lot if international applicants with a masters qualification were considered equivalent and allowed to practice here, but it might be that you can demonstrate greater skills from your post-qualification experience.

BTW, I'm assuming you have the right to live and work in the UK, as this will also be checked before you can secure any form of employment. In my experience, the whole Brexit mentality has made processes much less friendly and welcoming for foreigners than it used to be. I don't know whether the rules will change according to whether or not we leave the EU either, but there is definitely a push to reduce immigration and put up barriers from the current government.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare