Unsure if my current experience is sufficient ...

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care
mm2072

Unsure if my current experience is sufficient ...

Post by mm2072 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:18 pm

Hi all,

I was wondering whether my current experience would be sufficient for a strong application for the IAPT Low Intensity PWP Course. I've completed the CPCAB L2 Certificate in Counselling Skills, and graduated with a 2.1 from Cambridge and a Distinction from an MSc at LSE, and will be completing a PGCert at UCL in order to achieve GBC over the coming months. I've also had a short stint as a research assistant at LSE assisting with an experiment on mood and food consumption.

However, in terms of 'practical' experience, by the time applications open (which I believe will be in June but am unsure), I will have had around 9 months experience as a support worker in a forensic environment, which has involved quite extensive training as well as supervision from a CP. I've also got experience of using MH services and have learnt from this both to inform my current practice as well as to build resilience. Is 9 months of support work sufficient for a competitive application, or would it make sense to wait until the February 2020 round? Is there anything I can do to further boost my application given my limited free time due to working and completing a PGCert?

Best,
M

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Buxey

Re: Unsure if my current experience is sufficient ...

Post by Buxey » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:40 pm

Yes, just apply and see what happens.

Punkgirluk

Post by Punkgirluk » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:56 am

Hi M,

That’s more or less the exact practical experience I had when accepted (although you actually have more paid experience!) though I had some voluntary experience as well. I didn’t apply for the UCL course (which sounds like you are?) but my course paid far more attention to your reflection on what you had done and thae application in general.
Hope that’s helpful
Helen

mungle

Post by mungle » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:51 pm

This experience seems reasonable for applications for PWP or AP jobs.