5 things I'm thinking today. . .

For anything not related to psychology
lingua_franca

Re: 5 things I'm thinking today. . .

Post by lingua_franca » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:39 pm

1.) I taught my final class of an MA module yesterday. Several students came up and thanked me warmly for the module, saying it had been a really important experience for them and they were so glad they'd chosen it. Today an email arrived from the single solitary student who has seemed less than engaged with the course (problems with attendance, leaving halfway through without apologising on the weeks he did come, attempting to self-certify himself as present on the online system even when he hadn't been there, complaints that I'd deviated from the lecture outline given in the syllabus even though the deviation was minor...). He wants to know when the module evaluation form will be available for him to fill in. Why is it always these ones who are so keen to fill in evaluations? And how does he plan to evaluate it when he wasn't there for most of it? :evil:
2.) My therapist annoyed me today. I go from thinking the psychoanalytic method is the best most illuminating thing ever to thinking it is just a way to patronise people. (Please no one ask me about transference and projection here!)
3.) I am ravenously hungry and I feel grumpy and bloated. At least my period has aligned itself with my days off, so I will be able to curl up under a quilt and be growly and sore instead of having to come to work and be growly and sore.
4.) Now my MA teaching has finished I will need to pick up some other part-time work. I like the chance to do lots of different things, but sometimes I wish I had the stability of a regular salary. I also don't yet know where the next job is coming from.
5.) Too much chocolate. I feel a bit sick now.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
lakeland

Post by lakeland » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:49 am

1) How many packets of crisps is too many to eat before lunch?
2) French fries are an underrated crisp
3) Where is my motivation today?
4) Can't believe it's 10 years since I got on the DClin. 10 years!
5) I'm old

workingmama
Team Member

Post by workingmama » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:21 pm

lakeland wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:49 am
5) I'm old
1. I do not understand your question. It makes no sense to me. Obviously there is not limit to the crisp eating potential of the morning period. Duh.
2. All crisps are underrated.
3. It went to the park with mine for a read on a bench under a tree. With crisps.
4. Indeed.
5. No, you just feel old.

There, fixed :D
Fail, fail again, fail better.

lakeland

Post by lakeland » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:05 pm

workingmama wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:21 pm
lakeland wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:49 am
5) I'm old
1. I do not understand your question. It makes no sense to me. Obviously there is not limit to the crisp eating potential of the morning period. Duh.
2. All crisps are underrated.
3. It went to the park with mine for a read on a bench under a tree. With crisps.
4. Indeed.
5. No, you just feel old.

There, fixed :D
Thank you - I had more crisps with my sandwich at lunch.

nomnom

Post by nomnom » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:37 am

1. I am feeling very disheartened and just meh. I can't seem to catch a break with anything and this is giving me a sickly feeling in my stomach which I know is anxiety yet it feels so alien to me as I am not a worrier...usually.

2. Firstly, my flatmate is moving in with her boyfriend which is great but it has meant I have had to find a replacement. Which I did. However, she pulled out yesterday and the contract renews on the 2nd of April. I am waiting to hear back from the agency but I may have to pay the rent for the month, council tax and also bills for the month. Anyone looking for a room in Leeds? Lol!

3. Secondly, his mum is causing issues. She doesn't like me and now we can't move forward. I think he may have to leave. I don't want him to but I also can't cope with the idea of us not being together. This is really testing me.

4. I am looking at EMDR training - any insight from others who have done this training?

5. 'This too shall pass'
'Forget what hurt you. But remember what it taught you'

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:32 pm

nomnom wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:37 am
2. Firstly, my flatmate is moving in with her boyfriend which is great but it has meant I have had to find a replacement. Which I did. However, she pulled out yesterday and the contract renews on the 2nd of April. I am waiting to hear back from the agency but I may have to pay the rent for the month, council tax and also bills for the month. Anyone looking for a room in Leeds? Lol!
I don't need to rent a room permanently in Leeds, but I will be coming there for a few days for some training and I'd be happy to rent the room for two or three nights. I know it's not much, but at least it's some income for you.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

jason712

Post by jason712 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:50 am

1. Finally have my dclin interview
2. Terrible night sleep. I need an Asprin
3. I can't stop going to the loo
4. My throat is dry but water isn't quenching it
5. I can't wait for today to end. I'm a bundle of nerves.

lakeland

Post by lakeland » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:25 am

nomnom wrote:

4. I am looking at EMDR training - any insight from others who have done this training?
I've recently completed Part 3 of my EMDR training - it's pretty intense training but I am using the approach in my daily work.

mungle

Post by mungle » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:24 pm

lakeland wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:25 am
nomnom wrote:

I've recently completed Part 3 of my EMDR training - it's pretty intense training but I am using the approach in my daily work.
It's a significant investment in terms of time and money but the time is spent on learning, practising and reading round for clients etc. rather than writing assignments! I've found it very useful for getting shift in client sessions and it's great to have another effective and research-based intervention. I also find it is sharpening my assessment skills.

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:50 am

To everyone who has sent their lovely thoughts and wishes during this difficult time with my sister-in-law, just to let you know she passed away peacefully and with her family at her side in the early hours of this morning. We are grateful for how she passed and that she had all 3 of her boys with her. Thank you again to everyone for their support, it makes a world of difference. Miriam, that is a lovely way of framing things - far from being inappropriate, I have used it as a way of helping my daughter understand the loss.

lakeland

Post by lakeland » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:12 am

Oh Geisha, I'm so sorry to hear that. Sending love to you and your family at an incredibly upsetting time.

mungle

Post by mungle » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:14 am

Geishawife - really sorry to hear that. I hope you can take some time and be with those that matter.

Victoriomantic

Post by Victoriomantic » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:16 pm

I'm sorry Geishawife, but glad it was peaceful. Sending you lots of love, look after yourselves.

nomnom

Post by nomnom » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:40 am

1. Roommate sorted :D

2. Thank you for the insight in to EMDR - I am booked in for part 1 in May. I will be using it in my daily practice so I am looking forward to learning the approach.

3. Why can't relationships be simple...?

4. I need a recommendation for a binge on Netflix - anyone?

5. Just need to breathe.
'Forget what hurt you. But remember what it taught you'

Esuma

Post by Esuma » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:00 pm

4. I’ve just watched After Life and would recommend it! Bit of an emotional roller coaster but I enjoyed it!

1.) I survived my doctorate interview today! A little frustrated with myself in some ways but overall I’m being kind to myself and think I did the best I could at the time
2.) My Brain is all mushy from 1 so I’m lazing on the sofa, binge watching TV and generally being very unproductive - I probably should at least tidy my house...
3.) Is it ok to eat the rest of the pizza I ordered for lunch later? I definitely will want something else to eat but surely there’s limits on how much pizza someone should eat in a day??
4.) Back to work tomorrow - hoping I’ll feel rested and motivated
5.) I WILL go back to the gym tomorrow