Courses with Systemic Pathway

Discuss the content and style of the different clinical psychology doctoral training courses, the differences between them, placements, teaching, chat to other trainees and connect with other people who have places on the same course
Jane18

Courses with Systemic Pathway

Post by Jane18 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:15 pm

Hello all,

I am going to be applying for the first time this coming year (2018/2019 applicant) and am currently deciding on which courses I want to apply to. Family therapy and systemic practice is an area that I am particularly interested in and would like the opportunity for this to be a focus in my later career path (once/ if I make it onto training!).

I know that UCL have a systemic pathway that is accredited by AFT, I think that Surrey have also applied for such accreditation...

Does anyone know which other courses have a systemic pathway accredited by AFT or a similar professional body?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
firegal
Team Member

Re: Courses with Systemic Pathway

Post by firegal » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:36 pm

Birmingham has a systemic pathway and I've found the systemic teaching to be really solid. I believe they are currently pursuing accreditation but as it stands we have the option of completing a portfolio to apply for the foundation qualification independently, we are given all the necessary teaching and experience, but it's just a personal option of whether or not to take on the additional work of actually filling out the portfolio, it isn't currently an automatic thing (as I understand it?).

endedupageek

Post by endedupageek » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:25 pm

Plymouth has a systemic/family pathway - all trainees get their AFT foundation qualification in year 1 and you can do your AFT Intermediate qualification in year 3 as an option.

ell

Post by ell » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:39 pm

Oxford are going to be doing something along these lines, but I don't know the details. Worth checking it out.

rhapsodyinred

Post by rhapsodyinred » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:26 pm

Edinburgh's two core therapeutic models you are expected to be competent in after qualifying are CBT and systemic therapy :)

oldlady

Post by oldlady » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:07 am

Bath also provides the opportunity for both foundation and intermediate accreditation.

Roz93

Post by Roz93 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:00 am

I believe Lancaster are similar to Birmingham in that you can apply for AFT foundation accreditation after qualifying. There is a good amount of systemic teaching on the course and several placements offer systemic work, too!
"Imagine others complexly" - John Green.

Randomswirls
Team Member

Post by Randomswirls » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:36 pm

I think Herts are strongly systemic?

Liverpool do it one if there plus one options and so do a number of other unis I believe

reishi

Post by reishi » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:03 pm

Essex offers AFT foundation level.
"Ever since psychoanalysis came up, everybody's ill more or less."

Samays

Post by Samays » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:01 pm

Hi, this is one of my interests too. A bit late to the party but I'll put this here for reference.

Leicester include systemic teaching as one of their four theoretical models and "provide support for trainees interested in pursuing post-doctoral qualifications in systemic family therapy".

Royal Holloway teach it as one of their core therapeutic models alongside CBT.

And as you said, Surrey have applied to provide AFT accreditation at a Foundation Level for Family Therapy and Systemic Practice.

If you can bear it, you could go on Clearing House, click though each course and 'ctrl+F' "systemic" and see what each course has to offer.

Begrand

Post by Begrand » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:21 pm

Newcastle also do a systemic stream.

GarethMorgan

Post by GarethMorgan » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:30 pm

At Leicester, trainees completing the course are able to gain a statement of equivalence for the first year of systemic training - The course is accredited by AFT.