Experience advice

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
willow17

Experience advice

Post by willow17 » Wed May 08, 2019 4:49 pm

The course I want to apply to states that applicants need at least one year of directly relevant clinical experience (with 6 months of this being paid). If I apply this year then I will have only been in a paid AP role for 4 months before applying. If by some miracle I got onto the course, then I’d have 1 year+ of paid AP experience by the start date. I’m wondering whether I will have enough experience to be able to apply?

Experience (all UK based):
1st class BSc Psychology

Assistant Psychologist full time (NHS role including supervision by a clinical psychologist) - for older adults with dementia.

Research Assistant full time for 10 months -
Mainly involved creating standard operating procedures and documents for ethical approval of the study and recruitment of healthy controls (so not directly clinically applicable).

Voluntary Psychology Assistant full time for 9 months during placement year at university. Conducted cognitive tests and semi structured clinical interviews with participants who had schizophrenia, bipolar etc. Also conducted exposure therapy 1:1 (once/twice a week for 8 months).

Volunteer on an in-patient dementia ward (1 year, once a week)

Facilitator Volunteer for clients with a brain injury (1 year, once a week)

A few paid research internships (each about 3 months full time during university summer breaks) included writing literature reviews, presenting my work to an academic audience, conducting cognitive tests etc.

5 months as a care support worker, part time shifts.

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks! 🙂

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
CharlieCat

Re: Experience advice

Post by CharlieCat » Wed May 08, 2019 7:05 pm

Hi Willow,

I had a similar situation with a university I wanted to apply to this year. As far as I know clearly house automatically rounds up current experience to January, when the applications are sent out. If I'm doubt it's always best to ask the university! Its always useful to know how helpful and informative the course staff are as well.

maven
Site Admin

Post by maven » Thu May 09, 2019 2:27 am

It is the amount of experience stated on the application, at the time of short-listing, not the amount by the time the course would start. However, your RA work would probably count if the research was related to psychology, and you might also make the criterion if the other stuff added up to the same WTE. So it might be worth a shot. You lose little by applying.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

jels256

Post by jels256 » Thu May 09, 2019 10:27 am

Agree with above - when I went to IOP/KCL open day they said they wanted to a year of clinical experience before applying but this 1 year of experience had to be gained before November (when the application deadline shuts) not by the time the course started. However this clinical experience can be research assistant work too, so you AP + RA role before November would likely to add up to over a year?

Good luck :)