BA at Cambridge/MSci at Reading?

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
luckyrabbit

BA at Cambridge/MSci at Reading?

Post by luckyrabbit » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:48 pm

Hello all,

First post I've ever made here! Current situ is that I'm a mature (27) student looking to do my initial psychology degree, with an interest in the clinical side of things as a future career path.

My plan as it stands is to accept my offer to go to Cambridge and do the Psychological and Behavioural Sciences degree then go from there. However, I have also been offered a place on the MSci in Applied Clinical Psychology at Reading, which includes a PWP training year as part of the course. I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on the situation i.e. would it be silly to turn down the place at Reading considering how hard it is to get on a funded PWP training course when in the clinical sector? The PWP part of the MSci would cost 9k like the other degree years otherwise. Also, a la Cambridge, would it make my life a lot tougher when trying to get relevant work exp/positions having done a degree that doesn't include work exp as part of its course structure? I've done a bit of relevant voluntary work w/ a charity for suicidal people face to face & over the phone, but have had to stop for a while due to stress!

Either way, I'm not putting all my eggs in the clinical basket just yet, but would like to make steps in that direction considering I am very interested in it. :cyclops:

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Esuma

Re: BA at Cambridge/MSci at Reading?

Post by Esuma » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:52 pm

Does the masters convey GBC? If ClinPsy is your goal it needs that bit to me sounds like a great option with a guaranteed career whatever happens further down the line. Do you already have a different undergrad?

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:40 pm

If the Reading MSc confers GBC, go with that. The funded PWP year sounds great. What is drawing you to a second BSc? If you'd like to study at Cambridge, they do offer a psychology conversion course at MSc level. I don't really see the point in doing a second undergraduate degree, as it's such an expensive option and I don't think you can get anything out of it that you wouldn't get from an MSc.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:55 pm

I'm not clear from the OP that the PWP year is funded, in fact I read it as not being funded. But as Lingua says, I'm not sure either is the perfect option. Starting from scratch and doing a BA means 3 years of fees and study, which wouldn't make sense if you can just do a one year conversion course. But self-funding PWP training is an option you could add to any conversion, and might not be something you'd want to do if you can gain a funded place, or another paid role that would be equally prestigious (whether a research post that will lead to a publication, an AP post or other paid work directly interfacing with a CP).
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Lancelot

Post by Lancelot » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:09 pm

I concur with others - neither sound like good options. Finding a MSc Psychology conversion that takes a year then getting paid experience in my opinion would be better (or/and doing self-funded PWP after if that floats ya boat).

luckyrabbit

Post by luckyrabbit » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:23 pm

Thanks for the responses! To clarify, I haven't done an undergrad yet. Starting from scratch here: I worked as an actress before my path change. Also, the PWP course is self-funded.

ChrisCross

Post by ChrisCross » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:02 pm

My first degree was a four year MSci with work experience (though the final year placement was an honorary assistant psychologist post, rather than PWP). The experience was a great foot in the door for me and helped me secure a paid AP position and a DClinPsy training place less than a year after graduating. I'm not suggesting you rush through the process, but I definitely found that final year more valuable than the first 3 years of my degree. The supervision from a qualified CP was a huge part of that though, and I'm not sure whether you would get the same with the PWP training?

Ultimately though, I'd suggest following your interests and your gut - if you prefer the 'feel' of one course over another then it might be a better fit for you and you might get more out of it in the end, especially if you aren't totally set on the DClinPsy.

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:33 pm

In that case I think you need to consider how you learn best and choose the course that suits your needs and interests, as getting a good grade is paramount. I did my undergraduate degree at Cambridge (linguistics). There is a lot of 1:1 and small group teaching for all subjects, which I loved. The supervision system is ideal for anyone who wants to develop research skills. However, it's intense, especially in terms of workload. I'm unsure what it's like for PBS, but Cambridge courses generally rely heavily on exams as a means of assessment. If you're someone who does better with coursework, it might not be the best choice. I can't comment on Reading, as I don't know it well, but I've just had a look at the MSc in question and the placement within the NHS does sound like a fantastic opportunity. I would make a pro and con list for each university, and go with your gut. What sort of feel did you get at interview?
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

luckyrabbit

Post by luckyrabbit » Fri May 10, 2019 2:31 pm

Thank you for the response ChrisCross, I am not sure if I would get CP supervision with this training, because even compared to ordinary PWP training it isn't quite the same. It sounds like you did really well, well done for getting onto CP so quickly!

And lingua_franca thank you also, I totally get how intense Cambridge will be, which is something I have mentally prepared myself for. Both of you mentioned going with my gut, and the truth is my gut said Cambridge, for some reason with the Reading interview I got a feel that the interviewers were almost...more nervous than I was, it was strange. At least I know, competitive as it may be, the PWP training course will be out there when I graduate (one assumes) for the future.